72 air cleaner decal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q Code
Ok, I looked at some other threads first, but couldn't find what I'm looking for. I am trying to find a 351-4V air cleaner decal. All I can find is the one that says 351-CJ. The 4V ones are too small. I have a 72 Q Code Mach 1.

Here are a few pics. The dark blue decal on the lid is a factory original. The lighter blue ones are all Ford repos that I just set on lid for comparison.

I am pretty sure that the early Q Codes got the CJ decal, then after January they changed to the 4V decal. My car was built 2/2/72 (cool!) and I was just trying to find the 4V one. Thank's for any help![attachment=37052][attachment=37053][attachment=37054][attachment=37055]

jpaz, if you've read the other posts I'm sure you have seen where we have been trying to determine exactly when the decal change took place. My first "Q" code car was a Gran Torino Sport built 5/12/72. Even the window sticker and all the paper work said 351 Cobra Jet, the air cleaner label was 351 4V. Don at OMS (Ohio Mustang Supply) shows this: https://www.ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=944 You may want to call him to verify the size or that is exactly what you want. The only complaint I've heard on any of the decals is the arc of the decal is off on some of them. Good luck on your search.

Edit: Also may want to check to see if the engineering # to the left lower of the Ford oval is legible on your original decal. Although there was never a service part number released for these you can still use the ID number to compare to the new one. The number should be D2OF-9C611-BC which was actually from the Gran Torino group.

Last edited by a moderator:
Secluff, the pic's of the 351-4V decal that I posted is the same as the one you posted from OMS. It's the wrong size arc, it's to small & it's not as wide so it doesn't fit.

I'll check to see if I can see any part # on the original. Good idea! There is a repo for the 73 that is the same size, but the color is different than the 72. Thank's for the reply.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have heard about the arc being off on some of em'. I still would contact Don@OMS and tell him what your looking for. He has probably heard about the fitment issues and may be able to offer a solution. The "Q" 351 continued through 1974 on the Gran Torino and sister Mercury cars but I don't remember if the decal was the same. Only person I knew with a 74 "Q" Torino had blown the engine and replaced it with a 460. Not sure who manufactures them, but a friend of mine in Utah restores Mustangs and uses Phoenix Graphix for a lot of his projects. http://www.phoenixgraphix.com/ford.php If You and Don can't come up with a solution maybe you can contact them and they might be able to tell you if they manufacture the decals or if they have a "Fix"!

Great info Secluff! Thank's for the help. I have looked at all the normal Mustang part houses, & they all have the same decals that I posted in my pics. I just might have to try the graphics place you posted.

I can't believe this decal isn't made. They make a HO decal, which is the correct size. But how many of those motors were made, 366 or something like that? There were Way more 4V motors produced that year. Why no 351-4V that is the same size as the HO & CJ decal? The CJ decal was changed to the 4V decal mid year so probably January. That's all that changed, just the decal. So there still would have been a ton more of these engines made vs. the HO. Doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, thank's again, I'll keep looking. :)

Back