CJ or 4V

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang me! I forgot to attach the 1973 351 4v emission control/engine vacuum schematics/calibrations. I neglected to attach those files. My bad. I have them attached to this post. Also, if you are interested in getting the Forel Publications Shop Manual for 1973 (or any number of manuals they offer the First Generation Mustangs), their web site is below. The rest of the 1973 engine/emission control vacuum schematics/calibrations are in the 1973 Shop Manual, Volume 6.

https://www.forelpublishing.com/clickbank/index.html

Back to my prior post in this thread, it looks like I got chopped before I finished what I wanted to say. I was mentioning the 1967 - 1972 engine vacuum schematic PDF with the consolidated Mustang Barn schematic files I built. Well, it is also attached to this post, this time for sure. You are welcome to share that file, as Mustang Barn has made it freely available to anyone who needs the information.

Attachments

• 1973Mustang_351-4v-AutoTrans_EngineVacuumCalibration-Annotated_20220329.pdf
    398.8 KB · Views: 2
  • _1967-1972_Mustang_EmissionControlVacuumSchematics_ConsolidatedGroupedAndSortedByYear__20211003.pdf
    15.3 MB · Views: 1
I agree with the Sheriff. Its your Mustang and you can call it what you like. If your intent is to go concourse, then you're off beat. If this is your custom vehicle to reflect your desires and personality, then you are right on. I have a lowly H code Mach 1 but I stroked a 351C to 393 with Trickflow aluminum heads etc, etc..... I had custom valve covers made with 393 Cobra Jet lasered on the top of those valve covers. I will also change the decal on the hood scoops to reflect the same. I do not care what other people "think". Its called a resto-mod! Ask those doubters out there if they ever heard of the term!
You received a lot os really good information from several folks who have a much better understanding of what Ford was doing with its nomenclature re: their higher performance engines. Despite the 351 being regarded as a 4v or a CJ, what I have come across for 1973 is the engines (to include the 351) were detuned with their valve timing, by I think 4 degrees, in order to meet the emission standards being jammed down our throats back then. Regardless, even if the engines were detuned it does not detract from what great cars they were and are.

In the event you feel compelled to change any stickers you may or may not have, I have found ECS Automotive concepts offers a really nice selection of tags and stickers. I have purchased side glass from them for one of our 1973 Mustangs, and for our 1969 Shelby GT500. In both cases they were able to etch the glass with the correct CarLite logo, the type of glass, and the correct date code from the original glass. I am very pleased with what they sent to me. Here is their web address for anyone interested:

https://ecsauto.com/

A quick aside, The emission control engine vacuum schematics (aka "calibrations") are generally available in the Forel Publication 1973 Shop Manual, in Volume 6 (web site below). But, interestingly the calibrations for the 351 4v engine are missing. I came across them from "somewhere" and after removing the copy protection scheme from the Shop Manual PDF file I inserted the two missing calibrations. I have attached those missing calibrations to this post for anyone who may need that information.

Also, prior to 1973 the various manuals I have seen do not include engine vacuum schematics/calibrations. They include the vacuum system for HVAC, and some other vacuum related devices, but that is about it. Well Mustang Barn was nice enough to put together their own calibration specs for 1967 - 1972 Mustangs (which I presume covers Ford/Lincoln/Mercury also). With their knowledge and approval I
I think it had something to do with the emissions during that start of the 70’s. My c code 429 had a chrome lid and said cobra on one side and 429
Hi Guy's

I have a question for the experts here concerning Cobra Jet or 4V nomenclature.
I have a 73 Q code 4V Cleveland. I have heard many stories on whether the 73 4V can be considered a CJ.
As I understand it.
For 71 and 72 the Sales literature used the CJ wording to describe the 4V Cleveland.
This was dropped for 73, however the service manual and Engineering docs still referenced the 73 351C 4V as a CJ.

I have a CJ sticker on my air cleaner and have received some negative feed back on that,
so what is correct?

Thanks
Ray Q.

I think it had something to do with the emissions during that start of the 70’s. My c code 429 had a chrome lid and said cobra on one side and 429

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
Back