72 Mustang AM/8Track speaker issues

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaysay

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mustang Fastback 351c 2v
On my 72 mustang I have good sound out of my driver speaker, but my passenger speaker only works at max volume, left/right speaker balance works as it should and doesn't change the issue. I’ve put a test light to the wires an there is no power to the speaker until the volume reaches a certain point. Should i be looking at the connections or is it likely the radio’s internal resistor for that side?

Yeah, after spending a few hours doing some tests that’s what I’ve narrowed it down to. I hardly ever find a reason to balance my speakers between left a right, so i made a splitter wire that goes to both speakers using the driver side speaker power wire. Seems to work good, an can’t foresee any problems that may occur with that setup so as long as no one warns me of something, I’m gunna run with that lol

Yeah i tried basic electronic cleaner an then made the trip to our shop a picked up some DeoxIT there, neither had any effect. And the music sounds exactly how it was before from what i can tell. It is the original factory AM/8track radio.

It sounds like you're pretty savvy in basic electronics, Jaysay. You could check out ebay for a "Parts" AM FM 8 Track Player, and swithc out the balance pot, and see if that makes a difference.

A little off topic but ... can anyone advise about replacing the light bulb inside the radio. I am doing a complete LED conversion and inside the radio is one I'd like to switch-out. It is a '73 Ford AM / FM 8-Track unit. I know it says refer to a professional technician but is it something I can do myself?

It should be quite simple. Remove cover, and the bulb socket should be fairly easy to access. If not, replace cover and furgetaboutit.

Back