72 Mustang with no turn signals.-

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Um? You installed an HEI and have a separate coil hooked up? HEI's have a built in coil and do not need an external coil.
I bought the cheap/small cap design HEI from cj pp for under $100.00 that uses an external coil.-The cap or wires could be bad,my multimeter just took crap with one of the leads falling of.....chinese junk....have to pick up a test light this week and do some trouble shooting....What ever happened to making quality parts???

1704997780979.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a fan of the old GM tech HEI distributors. From my experience, they can fail without notice. My preference is stock points or one better, the upgrade to electronic substitution of those. I’m sure others have their own ideas.

I bought the cheap/small cap design HEI from cj pp for under $100.00 that uses an external coil.-The cap or wires could be bad,my multimeter just took crap with one of the leads falling of.....chinese junk....have to pick up a test light this week and do some trouble shooting....What ever happened to making quality parts???

That is a Chinese knock-off of an Aussie Bosch electronic distributor. Supposedly the real Bosch units work very well, these cheap ones - not so much. I bought one a couple years ago as it was $35. The unit arrived broken, was complete trash and went back the same day. IMO, you're better off with the points unit.

What ever happened to making quality parts???

People could, and probably have, written books on that subject.

Not a fan of the old GM tech HEI distributors. From my experience, they can fail without notice. My preference is stock points or one better, the upgrade to electronic substitution of those. I’m sure others have their own ideas.
And those huge GM type HEI units take up too much space in the area that restrict the movement of the distributor and barely clear the connections coming out of the mainfolds. Might be fine for the GM vehicles since the units are on the rear of the engine area.-

View attachment 84699
And those huge GM type HEI units take up too much space in the area that restrict the movement of the distributor and barely clear the connections coming out of the mainfolds. Might be fine for the GM vehicles since the units are on the rear of the engine area.-
Just received the "Replacement" unit today from cj pp and will post the results when i have time to do the replacement.-Have a great weekend everyone and be safe in the upcoming storms.-Joe

Back