72 Mustang with no turn signals.-

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joseph Knopf

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Hardtop with factory 62K miles 302 new Holley 600 Street Warrior carb,Edelbrock Performer intake,stock C-4 trans,with 279 rear.
Hello,currently have no turn signals.fuel gauge and the new wiper motor is not working. I do have functional headlights/flashers,and horn.-I am in the process of cheking out the wiring diagrams from this forum from a month ago to try and trace out the wires leading up to the wipers/fuel gauge and the turn signals...I did notice after i installed a new turn signal wiring harness/switch earlier this year my door buzzer stopped working.....which i did not mess at all...but i figured trace out the relay and replace it anyway as everything should working on a vehicle.-I took a few pictures of what looks like an original door buzzer/alarm switch relay.-I did some searching online earlier and looks like these relays are in the $70.00 range plus shipping.-The flashers work so i was going to leave that relay alone for now.-After lookimg @ the 71-73 mustang wiring diagrams i thought i read where the turn signals share the same wire or wires as the flashers.....In a 52 year old vehicle that i intend on restoring i might as well replace all the electrical relays as i can find.-Keep tracing/testing until i get the turn signals,fuel gauge and wipers working again.-Thanks for all the help.-Kindest regards,Joe K.-

Attachments

• image000000 (1).jpg
    image000000 (1).jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 1
  • image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 1
  • image000000 (18).jpg
    image000000 (18).jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 1
Ok, so to sort things out. Did all three of those items, turn signal, fuel gauge, and wiper motor all stop working at the same time, while previously working? But you also say the flashers are working? We need a bit more info on what you did or didn’t do before the failure(s) occurred. Give us a time line if events. Also, there are some fantastic wiring gurus on this site.

Ok, so to sort things out. Did all three of those items, turn signal, fuel gauge, and wiper motor all stop working at the same time, while previously working? But you also say the flashers are working? We need a bit more info on what you did or didn’t do before the failure(s) occurred. Give us a time line if events. Also, there are some fantastic wiring gurus on this site.
Hi Steve,and yes all the 3 functions stopped working when i removed the "Toggle switch" the repair shop Tech installed after replacing the wiper motor....I removed this very temporary setup after my battery kept being drained with is less than acceptable "Fix" and over paying for all new brakes,master cylinder,and a new wiper motor....This was January/February this year.Everything worked before i removed the Toggle switch and removed the wire/cable running to my battery as well.-After this i had issues with turn signals working/canceling because the original turn signal switch wire assembly that runs through the column,the plastic "cam" was cracked..So i replaced the aging switch with a new unit from cjpp. I'm sure i can figure this out with a test light and a few weekends.-

Good luck Joseph, some of the folks here have excellent wiring diagrams they might share if you run into a problem. But you’re right, you will figure it out.

Good luck Joseph, some of the folks here have excellent wiring diagrams they might share if you run into a problem. But you’re right, you will figure it out.
Thanks very much,and will reach out in a few days.-Best wishes for a great New Year.Less wrenching and more enjoying our classics,weather permitting....-Best regards,Joe K.-

It seems that the whole issue here stems from the shop that butchered your harness to make the wipers work. IMO, you need to attack that problem first and remedy whatever mess they created.

After some testing with a multimeter earlier this afternoon i found there is "zero" power going from the turn signal switch wire assembly plug to the blue/white turn signal wires that run up to dash board area and plugs into a flasher.-The female plug that connects to the new male turn signal assembly plug directly under the steering column has a broken tab and is most likely not making a complete 100% secure connection to all the wire pins.-I should start with replacing that female plug and making sure all the wires are seated properly and try testing after that is completed.-Have a great New Years everyone and good luck with your projects.-Homes and autos.-

It seems that the whole issue here stems from the shop that butchered your harness to make the wipers work. IMO, you need to attack that problem first and remedy whatever mess they created.
Trying to fix everything back to factory specs and have all systems work correctly.I was not too happy when i picked my vehicle this past January/February and the mechanic shoed me a "Toggle" switch to tun my new wiper motor on/off.....this aslo turned on my fuel gauge and turn signals as i mentioned earlier.-It was late/dark/cold and i just wanted to get the car home....Not the place to take your vehicle if you have electrical issues.-Oil changes/tune-ups and wheel/tire installs usuall no problems.-I starting to change the oil in my won vehicles now with oil changes running over the $100.00 mark espcially with newer vehicles like the 2020 Jeep Compass and my 2011 BMW X3 that use the synthetic oil.Anyway,see if i can find female plug to replace the broken one i have and seat all the wire pins in the best i can and try testing the turn signals,the wipers,and the fuel gauge. -I tested the wire pins on the wiper motor earlier with the ignition on of course and was not recieving any power reading on my multimeter.....I just hope that black plastic female plug is causing the bad connection where it plugs into the new turn signal switch male plug under the steering column.-I will update with my progress and hope this helps anyone with the same or similar electrical issues.-

Trying to fix everything back to factory specs and have all systems work correctly.I was not too happy when i picked my vehicle this past January/February and the mechanic shoed me a "Toggle" switch to tun my new wiper motor on/off.....this aslo turned on my fuel gauge and turn signals as i mentioned earlier.-It was late/dark/cold and i just wanted to get the car home....Not the place to take your vehicle if you have electrical issues.-Oil changes/tune-ups and wheel/tire installs usuall no problems.-I starting to change the oil in my won vehicles now with oil changes running over the $100.00 mark espcially with newer vehicles like the 2020 Jeep Compass and my 2011 BMW X3 that use the synthetic oil.Anyway,see if i can find female plug to replace the broken one i have and seat all the wire pins in the best i can and try testing the turn signals,the wipers,and the fuel gauge. -I tested the wire pins on the wiper motor earlier with the ignition on of course and was not recieving any power reading on my multimeter.....I just hope that black plastic female plug is causing the bad connection where it plugs into the new turn signal switch male plug under the steering column.-I will update with my progress and hope this helps anyone with the same or similar electrical issues.-
I found a turn signal "Female" connector on Ebay,$40.00 for the new connector and another $40.00 for delivery from Brazil....I'm sure i can find these closer to home in the U.S. and save about $20.00 on shipping.-

Attachments

• image000000 (11).jpg
    image000000 (11).jpg
    646.9 KB · Views: 1
  • image000000 (10).jpg
    image000000 (10).jpg
    730.4 KB · Views: 0
  • image000000 (9).jpg
    image000000 (9).jpg
    594 KB · Views: 0
  • image000000 (8).jpg
    image000000 (8).jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 2
  • image000000 (7).jpg
    image000000 (7).jpg
    720.6 KB · Views: 0
  • image000000 (2).jpg
    image000000 (2).jpg
    795.8 KB · Views: 0
I found a turn signal "Female" connector on Ebay,$40.00 for the new connector and another $40.00 for delivery from Brazil....I'm sure i can find these closer to home in the U.S. and save about $20.00 on shipping.-
Looks like 10 pins/wires total on the turn signal switch plugs.-. Sorry for the not so clear photos and listing two photos twice.-Hope this helps someone else who might need these photos.-

Looks like 10 pins/wires total on the turn signal switch plugs.-. Sorry for the not so clear photos and listing two photos twice.-Hope this helps someone else who might need these photos.-
Check with some of our members (@Motorcity Mustang , @Doug's 73 Mach1 , @Bill Perkins , etc.) that sell used parts. They may have what you need at a reasonable price.

If that doesn't work, get a universal automotive 10-pin connector and make your own solution.

Before you replacing that connector, you should test across the pins that are the likely culprits. Also, if it’s loose, sometimes a tie wrap, routed in the middle of each side of the connector, can be used to verify the connector is bad, by temporarily making it work. The test should give you the same voltage across the same wires. Obviously, you’ll know if one pin isn’t making a connection. Continued good luck in your quest!

Before you replacing that connector, you should test across the pins that are the likely culprits. Also, if it’s loose, sometimes a tie wrap, routed in the middle of each side of the connector, can be used to verify the connector is bad, by temporarily making it work. The test should give you the same voltage across the same wires. Obviously, you’ll know if one pin isn’t making a connection. Continued good luck in your quest!
Thanks very much for the helpful advice.

Hello,currently have no turn signals.fuel gauge and the new wiper motor is not working. I do have functional headlights/flashers,and horn.-I am in the process of cheking out the wiring diagrams from this forum from a month ago to try and trace out the wires leading up to the wipers/fuel gauge and the turn signals...I did notice after i installed a new turn signal wiring harness/switch earlier this year my door buzzer stopped working.....which i did not mess at all...but i figured trace out the relay and replace it anyway as everything should working on a vehicle.-I took a few pictures of what looks like an original door buzzer/alarm switch relay.-I did some searching online earlier and looks like these relays are in the $70.00 range plus shipping.-The flashers work so i was going to leave that relay alone for now.-After lookimg @ the 71-73 mustang wiring diagrams i thought i read where the turn signals share the same wire or wires as the flashers.....In a 52 year old vehicle that i intend on restoring i might as well replace all the electrical relays as i can find.-Keep tracing/testing until i get the turn signals,fuel gauge and wipers working again.-Thanks for all the help.-Kindest regards,Joe K.-
Does anyone know where i might locate a new "Male" 10 pin plug to attach to the turn signal wiring assembly that runs from under the steering wheel and connects to the cars 10- internal wires @ the end of the steering column area.-Thanks-Joe K.-

Does anyone know where i might locate a new "Male" 10 pin plug to attach to the turn signal wiring assembly that runs from under the steering wheel and connects to the cars 10- internal wires @ the end of the steering column area.-Thanks-Joe K.- 01/07/2024.-

You might start a conversation with Midlife, a well known member here. He might have the connector you’re looking for,
Thanks but i'm not replacing any used parts with more old parts.Only new parts going forward on the restoration especially electrical parts.-Thanks very much.-Bad storm blowing through here this morning on the Delaware Bay,wish me luck.--Hopefully won't have to use the Flood Insurance.-

New problems......I had the great idea to replace the stock points distributor with a "New" HEI model and of course the car does not want to start now.-The car ran/started fine with the points distributor from 1972.....a few weeks ago before the upgrade....First i thought the new Accel "Super-Coil" would be enough to supply the new HEI unit with 40K volts....I bought one of the $17.00 18MM TDC "Whistle" tools to help find TDC and line up the rotor of the distributor with Number 1 spark plug/cylinder which is usually the center of the distributor cap...No luck and the car has good voltage/all connections are good,and the car was starting/running and driving fine before the "Upgrade.--Seems like i'm not getting spark as the car usually starts up immediately when you turn the key....Just making sure i don't need to purchase another Coil becasue i have installed an "HEI" distributor now.-And my multi-meter just decided to stop working....Going to purchase a new meter and test light as well.-Thanks -Joe

Back