72 torque converter for Q code

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I guess case not closed.

I bought the Pioneer FR 205 flexplate. Depth of teeth and torque converter end play all the same but it smashes up against the block spacer plate. It is due the the spacer plate having 2 dimples and the flexplate stamped the opposite way than the original one. Back to searching, maybe for a new block plate.

blockplate.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is the correct flex plate/spacer and exactly matches the ones I have pulled from years past. I have at least 5 of them from all versions of 351c engines. Most were 2v. I just looked and all are identical.

There are no 351c flex plates stamped the opposite direction. The only difference is the 4 or 8 hole variants for the small convertor.

Is it possible you have the flex plate/ flywheel on backwards? If on backwards then it jams against the plate. Got one all the way in a car once before I noticed my boo boo.

Double check. The only other possibility is your new flywheel is not the correct one for your engine or some idiot put the ring gear on upside down.

-Paul

That is the correct flex plate/spacer and exactly matches the ones I have pulled from years past. I have at least 5 of them from all versions of 351c engines. Most were 2v. I just looked and all are identical.

There are no 351c flex plates stamped the opposite direction. The only difference is the 4 or 8 hole variants for the small convertor.

Is it possible you have the flex plate/ flywheel on backwards? If on backwards then it jams against the plate. Got one all the way in a car once before I noticed my boo boo.

Double check. The only other possibility is your new flywheel is not the correct one for your engine or some idiot put the ring gear on upside down.

-Paul

Maybe the flexplate is wrong then. Turned around the other way it's much worse, not even close.

When I say stamped the other way. I should have said stamped deeper closer to the center.

Thanks

The pioneer catalog is a mess. It shows VIN engine codes H and Q as taking the same flex plate. If you can, you might exchange the FR205 for a FR202.

Chuck

The pioneer catalog is a mess. It shows VIN engine codes H and Q as taking the same flex plate. If you can, you might exchange the FR205 for a FR202.

Chuck
I was a little confused in that the FRA-202 shows a 24 oz imbalance instead of 28 oz. Since the alternate part number is D1ZZ-6375-A it must be 28.

A good day, transmission is in.

For anyone wanting to swap out the "CJ" flexplate, D1ZZ-6375-C, that has a 9.3" torque converter bolt pattern with one that has a 11 7/16 pattern. The part number that fits is D1ZZ-6375-A, which is for a 71 M code.

I bought the ATP Z110 and it seems decent quality, fit is good.

Thanks

Back