73 Bumper help needed fast.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
My Car
Restoring 1973 Mustang Coupe. Dream Car
My 73 was repainted 1 year ago at the shop. It never made it home. But during this time, my urethane bumper cracked and split in many areas. Zero weight tolerance. She is now being prepped for repaint of the whole car due to the shops damage and screw ups. What do I need to know to get the bumper painted correctly so that it does not crack and break? Super desperate to get her painted "Right" and then yank her out to bring home and finish her. Thanks. Any help please. Thanks so much!

image.jpg

Kat, Is it the paint only that is "cracked and split or the bumper material itself? without seeing it this is the best advice I can give. If its the paint only the paint applied is not flexing when weight is applied. They don't flex like the modern plastic nose pieces on cars but they do still flex a bit. This old paint needs to be removed because if its not flexing and you put good paint over, the cracks will come through from under the top coat if that makes any sense. It really needs to be sanded down and paint removed if the paint is cracking and redone with material that has a flex agent added. some of the modern urethane paint will flex a little but I would be more comfortable with a flex agent in the paint to be sure it doesn't crack again. like I said I would have to see it before final determination. Im sure other advice s coming it just may take a couple hours before people can respond.

Thanks for the info. The bumper is in great condition. When paint removed it is clean and smooth. A real suprize to me for as old as it is. I will be heading to the paint booth on Monday and want to know what to look for, or what they need to add to the paint to get it to flex. Will add photos as they come. Thanks.

I would have them paint the portion close to the grille flat black. That is the way it is on Mach 1s and it makes the bumper visually more appealing. You will notice that the top of the bumper has a slightly lower section from the middle back to grille.

33yrv6d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have them paint the portion close to the grille flat black. That is the way it is on Mach 1s and it makes the bumper visually more appealing. You will notice that the top of the bumper has a slightly lower section from the middle back to grille.

33yrv6d.jpg
+1

Thanks so much for the information. It has been helpful. I will show them the post and web site information. Also, mweeps, you are right! I agree with the satin black part of the front bumper. Never came to mind. You are have been very helpful in this issue. See ya later with the next issue. Kat.

Back