Need help on finishing 73 to 71-72 front end conversion

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Almost finished with the restoration just trying to wrap up the front end. Fenders and grill for 72 swap complete but I think I missed something. 🤦‍♂️ Do I need to still modify the bracket where the bumper attaches? I just found a forum post looks like the pictured horizontal mounts for the 73 wont work and the 71-72 bolts on horizontal? If that is the case do I need to order different bracket mounts, and do I need to cut off the vertical bracket mounts? Found impage of bracket for 71-72 bumper is this what I need to replace the current mount to then mount the bumper?

Also as far as the hood release what modifications or parts do I need to make the 73 release work now that the grille has been changed?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 2.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 2
  • 3.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 2
  • Image Mach 1 front end.jpg
    Image Mach 1 front end.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 71-72.png
    71-72.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I see you have the upper support that mounts to the brackets that mount to the frame rail on each side. I think you will need the left and right brackets that mount to the fame rails to mount the upper bumper support to and the 73 bumper mounts will need to be removed first. I also see you are going with a chrome bumper and the chrome bumper cars used two fillers, one on each side to close up the gap from the chrome bumper to the fender. The Endura bumpers fit tight to the fender so they did not use the fillers. I am sorry I do not have better pictures of my 71 bumper mounting but hopefully these will help. The first is with no bumper bracket just the bare frame rail. The second you can see the passenger bracket mounted directly to the frame rail. the third picture shows the upper support that you have in your fifth picture, that support mounts to the brackets on each side that are mounted to the frame rails. The bumper is mounted to the support on top and the bumper brackets at the bottom of the bumper. I wish the grille wasn't installed so you could see everything better. The car just went to the body shop to paint it otherwise I would go out to the garage and take better pics for you. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be able to shed some more light on this for you.

Attachments

• Mach 1 467.jpg
    Mach 1 467.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Mach 1 548.jpg
    Mach 1 548.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Mach 1 620.jpg
    Mach 1 620.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Mach 1 636.jpg
    Mach 1 636.jpg