86 Fiero GT

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1 Mustang (project)
93 Dodge Shadow (daily)
86 Buick Regal (2nd project)
Lately I've been working on my dad's Fiero's tail lights. I'm doing a LED retrofit with sequential turn signals. I using these to hone my soldering skills as I will be helping out Obsidian71 with the LEDs for his custom tail lights.

Turn signal

20130123_213905_zpsd42b43be.jpg

20130123_214305_zpsb6c53172.jpg

20130123_214332-2_zpsac016fed.jpg

Tail/Brake light

DSC07252_zps160c4068.jpg

DSC07254_zps240ce437.jpg

DSC07258_zps3c9f2b2d.jpg

In the housing

DSC07249_zps517cfd77.jpg

Lit up

DSC07240_zps35a4d016.jpg

DSC07247_zps25a266f7.jpg

Quick video of the whole set up.

Thanks for looking.

That's pretty cool.Looks like a crapload of soldering!

Nice work! I have not seen a Fiero on the road in years.
I didn't either until my dad got one, now I see a few driving around town all of the time.

That's pretty cool.Looks like a crapload of soldering!
It is but once you get into a rhythm it's not that bad.

Looks good...Got some pics of the car?...there quite a few fieros runing around my town...my cousin had a little red one...there is a yellow one in my town...and a few with the high scopes too...lol..for some reason must of been a popular seller in my area....Cause i see them more offen than a pacer or pinto..lol...My cousins was a decent little car...It is odd getting use to the shifter being up so high in the middle thou...lol

Looks good...Got some pics of the car?...there quite a few fieros runing around my town...my cousin had a little red one...there is a yellow one in my town...and a few with the high scopes too...lol..for some reason must of been a popular seller in my area....Cause i see them more offen than a pacer or pinto..lol...My cousins was a decent little car...It is odd getting use to the shifter being up so high in the middle thou...lol
Pictures of the actual car might help...

100_4810_zpsccbd9428.jpg

100_4809_zps59a06575.jpg

100_4820_zpsaaa74959.jpg

100_4815_zps8c4b3ba7.jpg

It's a fun little car to drive, just a little interesting to get in and out of.

Cool little 80ies ride. :)

I used to have an original Toyota Mr2 that was quite similar. What a great car that was. Sometimes I wish I still had it.

I used to have an original Toyota Mr2 that was quite similar. What a great car that was. Sometimes I wish I still had it.
I love the first generation MR2s, I've never driven one but they seem like a cool little sports car. My dad couldn't decide between a Fiero and a MR2, problem is all of the local MR2s were either out of his budget or rusted out. Then he found this Fiero for the right price and condition.

Nice work! I have not seen a Fiero on the road in years.
I didn't either until my dad got one, now I see a few driving around town all of the time.
Since I posted this I actually spotted one last weekend on a trip up to New York. It was red and It looked a little rough.

At the time there were 3 similar cars on the market. The Fiero, the MR2 and the Fiat x-10.

With all due respect to the other two, the MR2 was the best buy. It was lighterand much faster than the Fiero and it was way more reliable than the Fiat.

Another asset of the MR2, that many don´t know about, is that it evolved from a joint venture between Toyota and British super car maker Lotus. They went separate ways before any car was released but both companies put their own derivatives of the joint prototype on the market. Lotus made the Elise and Toyota the MR2.

The MR2 also featured a version of the typical "x" shaped chassis that is typical for Lotus cars and makes for superb handling.

Geez, that little car was fast, nervous, reliable and great fun to drive. I have never driven a car that steered better and more precisely than that.

I love the first generation MR2s, I've never driven one but they seem like a cool little sports car. My dad couldn't decide between a Fiero and a MR2, problem is all of the local MR2s were either out of his budget or rusted out. Then he found this Fiero for the right price and condition.

I did not know that about Toyota and Lotus. Lotus was all over the place in the late 80s and early 90s. I know they did a lot of work with Chrysler during that time. They even designed a DOHC head for a 2.2l turbo that was in a couple of cars. Don't get me started on GM reliability... Thanks for the info it was quite interesting and now I'm intrigued and will search for more info.

LED driver's side tail light vs incandescent passenger side tail light. The camera doesn't do the LEDs justice but you get the idea. These are the same basic LED circuits that will be going in Obsidian71's custom tail lights.

Back