AC Delco top engine cleaner

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danno

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Fastback, Sportsroof
Anybody ever use this cleaner? I have put @ 2 oz in each cylinder through the sparkplug holes and it is "cooking" now. I have a 302 2v with a C-4. The engine smokes a little at idle out of the right exhaust pipe. I was told by a reputable mechanic that this procedure would free up stuck rings, if that was the problem.

I am going to let it sit a few days, then remove the plugs and dry crank the engine to remove a residual cleaner, reinstall the plugs and run the engine. I was told to be ready for lots of smoke. After running the engine I will change the oil and plugs and see if I still have the smoking issue. Just trying to isolate the heads or rings as a origin of the smoke.

you also need to add it while the engine is running, but if just soaking it the way you are doesn't restore compression, my guess is that pouring it down your car while it runs wont help either.

there are also two types of that cleaner and as with all things, the new environmentally friendly version is much weaker than the good ol' highly flammable cancer causing stuff was.

Don't do what I am about to describe!

We used to pour a bottle of water in the carb (slowly) of a running engine, keeping the throttle up enough that it runs through the process in am attempt to remove carbon from the piston tops and rings. While it worked if you pour to much you could do serious damage.

Now if I were to want to clean an engine up I'd use seafoam in a similar manner, but it still must be done very carefully and slowly.

Yes, I have used it on a few engines. Depending on the severity of the issue you may have some success. I would suggest finding a friend with a cylinder leakage tester to truly isolate the problem. You would have no question on if it was valves or rings that way. And then you can decide your next step.

And yes - get ready for ALOT of smoke. The first time that I used it I thought I broke something it was so bad!

In any case, good luck with whatever the end result or repair may be!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I have used it on a few engines. Depending on the severity of the issue you may have some success. I would suggest finding a friend with a cylinder leakage tester to truly isolate the problem. You would have no question on if it was valves or rings that way. And then you can decide your next step.

And yes - get ready for ALOT of smoke. The first time that I used it I thought I broke something it was so bad!

Have to agree with 71gbvert,

cylinder leakdown test is in order.

We used to use the GM top end cleaner on top end and also mixed with gasoline for fuel injector service.

lots of times used water down the carb at the dealership, 351m & 400s

go figure.

all about compression height there.

Also used the BON AMI treatment when moly rings were introduced,

lots of little old lady cars got this.

I have successfully used the bon ami mixed with water down the carb,

it will not work if the rings are stuck or have lost tension.

I usually don't tell folks about the bon ami , cause they look at you kind of funny after tell them.

had a buddy that rebuilt a SBC with moly rings and used totally too fine of a final hone and his customer was going to make him re do the ring job, we gave it the bon ami and the rings seated with no ill effects.

Years after, I heard back from him, still all good.

Boilermaster

The engine runs strong, just some smoke at idle out of one side. The leak down/compression test is what I was going to have done until this guy told me he used to do this when he worked for GM. He said it couldn't hurt. I am hoping for just valve seals, but lets see what this does. I am going to leave it in there for a week, then see what happens when I start it again..........Thanks.........

Back