air cleaner assembly

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool, I do have a Q code so I still need to get the chrome lid, but I figured this was a good start. I think I can get a repo chrome lid for about 30 bucks. I was planning on adding the ram air system, but I am spending that money on a posi rear end unit instead. I wonder why no one makes a repo of the non ram-air air cleaners. Thank's guys. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
There is an excellent repro of the 351-C complete ram-air system available, which will work equally as well on a 302 or 351-W engine without modification. It includes an excellent all-steel air cleaner with gasket, the plastic underhod plenum and both underhood flapper/vacuum motor inlet assemblies. It just needs to be painted blue to be OEM-correct in appearance.

There are also lesser-expensive all-fiberglass repros, and they look good once painted and decaled up, but...I say step up and get the accurate steel repro.

Unfortunately, no one as of yet has made an accurate all-steel repro of the 429 ram-air air cleaner assembly.

There is an excellent repro of the 351-C complete ram-air system available, which will work equally as well on a 302 or 351-W engine without modification. It includes an excellent all-steel air cleaner with gasket, the plastic underhod plenum and both underhood flapper/vacuum motor inlet assemblies. It just needs to be painted blue to be OEM-correct in appearance.

There are also lesser-expensive all-fiberglass repros, and they look good once painted and decaled up, but...I say step up and get the accurate steel repro.

Unfortunately, no one as of yet has made an accurate all-steel repro of the 429 ram-air air cleaner assembly.
Ram air for 529.95 :D

Item #3641QXYKIT

71-3 RAM AIR SYSTEM KIT

Ram air system includes metal base complete with snorkel, vacuum assembly and lid, hood plenum with functional vacuum flapper assemblies, seal, vacuum lines, tee, screws, clips, filter, breather element and wing nut. Kit for 351C. Excellent reproduction

Cool, I do have a Q code so I still need to get the chrome lid, but I figured this was a good start. I think I can get a repo chrome lid for about 30 bucks. I was planning on adding the ram air system, but I am spending that money on a posi rear end unit instead. I wonder why no one makes a repo of the non ram-air air cleaners. Thank's guys. :)
That air cleaner will be close but a 72 Q code should have the LH side vacuum door

Someone is confused here...maybe its me!

What do you mean by "only the assembly"?

If you only want the air cleaner, I think that is available seperately from some vendors.

Ask Don.

Ahh, now I get it.

You could buy the repro ram-air air cleaner, remove the gasket and remove the "lip" for the gasket and you would then have basically a non-ram air set-up.

I've spent many a Saturday and Sunday at swap meets and flee markets and looking at the piece you bought and its condition I'd say you did ok not great but ok. I've paid more for less but the part was somthing I just had to have and paid probably more then I should have. Supply and demand. I glad your going in the direction of original equipment over after market or custom. I've seen a reproduction 18 inch chrome lid for that on Amazon for around 50 bucks.

Thank's guys, but I don't want the ram air unit. I just want the stock assembly. I looked for a repo, but I can't find one. Is there one out there that I missed?
There is no repro standard air cleaner

The one you bought off of ebay is a 71 version

72 Q codes had a similar one but it had an extra vacuum operated air door on the LH side. Just an FYI incase you are wanting it to be correct.

Don

I know the one I got is for a 71, but got tired of looking so I got this one. I just wanted one to look original, although this one is not correct, it's better than just the cheep chrome one I have now. The PO had the worst piece of crap air cleaner I have ever seen on it, so I put a chrome on. I've seen a few guys on here go back to the original, or as close as possible, and I really like that look. I am changing intake manifold to an Edelbrock Performer & carb to a Holley Alum 770 Street Avenger. I'm going to paint intake blue to keep an original appearance. Thank's for all the info.

I have 2 original chrome lids in various conditions if your interested.
mrmach1, I am interested. Can I see a pic? Thank You

Back