air cleaner housing replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 convert 351c
A small survey to check members success in swapping out the air cleaners would help trying to settle on my problem: I have kept the original housing on my non-ram air Cleveland because it keeps it original and also the engine dyno-ed better with the OEM housing in place than with no filter at all. Problem is that the large housing 1. requires a low rise manifold to clear the plain hood and 2. had to have relief cut in the front to clear the MSD dizzy. Here is the question; has anyone swapped out to a plain 14" round and connected both the passenger side valve cover vent as well as the carbon canister paper hose for fumes? If so, did you see a difference in performance and what mfg/model did you use and how did you hook up the paper hose? I'm torn between the original look and going with an aftermarket that might allow me to use mid-rise manifold and also look a little cooler. thanks for any input!

Why not a Ford housing from a different car/engine combo? There may be one or some with bases dropped (down over the carb) more than the Mustang unit. There are different filter and overall diameters available, too.

I've even modified housings to include a second matching snorkel, and ones with shortened snorkels to add flex hose ductwork to. Looked OE with the proper paint and lid decal, but wasn't.

I have several spares, but haven't looked at them for years. Kept them for the same reason of mixing and matching to get the proper look and function. Unfortunately even if I looked at them, I couldn't tell you which ones came from what vehicle originally.

Just a thought.

"It is a nice device to clean your home"

::huh:::

Ray
So I can use that as an excuse to park in the living room :dodgy:

I see 5 posts in 20 mins - for vehicle they put CAR - I suspect a spammer

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably hit the wrong browser button.

There is a "cosmetic" air cleaner on my engine now

as seen below. It only has one connection which I use for

the breather hose. Would like to also attach the charcoal

cannister, but no where to put it. Don't like having parts

in the engine bay that serve no purpose, like the horn. BUT,

it is original equipment and should function. So I may go back

to original cleaner which I still have. One problem is the original

carb was probably a 600 CFM while now there is a 770. Will the

factory installed cleaner be able to supply enough air through the

snorkel? The original cleaner is fully functional with all switches

and valves intact. Even bought a new K&N filter to fit. When you

look at the carb's throttle body it is twice the size of the snorkel.

mike

One problem is the original

carb was probably a 600 CFM while now there is a 770. Will the

factory installed cleaner be able to supply enough air through the

snorkel?
Sure.

Your engine still pumps the same amount of air, 600 or 770 carb, at any given RPM.

Check out one of the '70's GM air cleaners. Never could understand how these things were used on a production ANYTHING aside from a Briggs & Stratton rototiller.

Like this:

www.ebay.com/itm/1968-1969-1970-1971-1972-Chevrolet-GM-Impala-Chevelle-engine-air-cleaner-housing-/261024917843?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc64c2953&vxp=mtr

Last edited by a moderator:
The factory housing with the horn seems to allow plenty of air. My engine dyno'd with more HP and torque with the aircleaner housing in place than with no filter installed at all. The housing height is the problem, and also the 2v oem housing doesnt sit well on the 4bbl Holley. I see that FRP has a base with a single knockout for the breather. I wonder if i can dremel an opening for the paper hose plastic fitting? Also K&N makes a drop base that they claim clears Holley's. then there' s the fuel rail. The parts are't cheap to start cutting holes in them !

Back