Almost ready!!!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71coupe

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang
Well, the 302 is almost ready...just waiting on headers for break-in.

Hats off to Mission Machine Shop in San Antonio, Tx. They did the rebuild, awesome..awesome job, great service!

The small 302 beast will be sporting the following:

Thumpr Cam

Hyperutectic pistons

edelbrock intake

650 holley double pumper

Pertronix electronics

The FMX was rebuilt as well and will be sporting the following:

B & M shift kit

2500 stall converter

At the rear is stock diff - 3.00 gears - this may have to be changed...don't know yet.

all in all...the 302 should put out 275 to 300HP and the fmx should move the mustang sprint pretty good.

We shall see.

2011-07-27_16.59.22[1].jpg

2011-07-27_16.59.52.jpg

2011-07-26_20.11.53.jpg

Nice motor!! If you are going to run headers during breakin i would use those old ones in the pic. A new motor will run pretty hot and can burn off the ceramic coating of new headers during break in. If it dont burn off it can stain or discolor them pretty bad. Had this happen on my cleveland. i use my stock manifolds for breakin of my motors now then bolt on my headers after brwak in is complete. But anyhow great lookinng motor. It should definately run well for you.

Kevin

+1 on Turtle5353's post. You will need a numerically higher gear in the differential, it will make everything work well together=:) Chuck

Engine looks perfect.

I had a very similar drivetrain combo in a ratty '68 Torino hardtop that I had before the Sportsroof. I even ran just the stock 2V carb and was very pleased. Acceptable gas mileage and would smoke the peg-legged right rear!

Thanks fellow mustangers!

appreciate all the comments :)

Note taken:

The motor is getting broken in with the old headers! Thanks for the advice.

Can't wait to get the lil 302 in the car. I'm gonna have to resist the urge to put the pedal to the metal.

Back