Harmonic Damper Replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sounds awesome. I work just down the block from the Falcons, so I am sure I will be there at least a couple of times this summer. I have never brought the Mach 1 their, but I have been there in my '78 280z. Pautlers is another favorite of mine, tends to be a nice turn out without getting too crazy.

I will be sure to post an update when we get the distributor free and get the timing set as it should be. Probably won't be until next weekend though.

So, I finally got the distributor loosen up. Took a lot of penetrating fluid and a rubber mallet. It turns out that the timing really was very far advanced, 22° btdc or more.

I set the timing for between 12 and 13° btdc at 500 rpm, with the vacuum advance disconnected. When idling at 750 rpm, the mechanical advance kicks in a but to bring it to around 15° btdc.

I did not have a helper, so I couldn't check what the total timing is.

I did check the vacuum. Previously, at idle the car would pull upwards of 22"hg. With the timing set to 12 now, it pulls around 18 at 500 rpm and 20 at 750 rpm.

This is all I can do for now, snow has started falling again. I will need to wait for more rain to clean the streets before I can start tuning the carb.

Speaking of vacuum, I remember my last 429cj Mach had a new cam put in as recommended by a buddy. Can't recall the cam specs, but with it, the engine would only pull 5" of vacuum at idle... When the rpm's hit 3000, the engine woke up and wow! Probably not the best for a street application, live and learn...[/i]

Yeah, 5" is nothing. I am surprised it was able to pull in enough fuel to run.

Did it have power brakes? Those probably would have been worthless too.

has anyone mentioned damper balance. these engines are usually externally balanced meaning the damper and flywheel are balance together with rotating assembly. putting on a new damper may mess up the balance and cause vibration. if new damper caused vibration may be a good idea to visit an engine balancer with the new and old damper to see if the balance can be duplicated in the new damper. also the windsor and cleveland cranks use different size snouts about .005 inch different so be careful the damper is engine specific. last time I had my cleveland balanced w/ stock damper the builder took a ton of metal off the damper to get it balanced so each damper can be constructed very differently.

So, I solved the mystery of the crazy advanced "initial" timing. Worn out distributor springs! I was getting ~ 10 degrees of mechanical advance even at idle. I am assuming at some point the initial timing was set around 12° btdc, but as the springs wore out, more and more mechanical advance crept in.

I wasn't pinging, because the total advance was still between 38 and 40°. A little high, but not catastrophically so. I assume I didn't have starting problemschool because the starter was not spinning the engine fast enough to get significant mechanical advance, it wasn't until it started running in its own that it reached that point.

After I got the distribute freed up and "initial" timing set to 12° btdc, I noticed a drop in high rpm power, likely due to the fact that I had unknowingly decreased my total advance to ~25°.

I put on a set of the P925D advance springs after realizing that my springs may be shot. Initial advance dropped right down to 0°, confirming that my old springs has given up the ghost. I now have initial timing set to 10° btdc, with total mechanical advance of 35° coming in right around 2800 rpm.

I still have the sudden WOT bog, but at least I have the timing and ignition all sorted so now I can focus on the carb.

Mycoses, the new balance seems correct. I have verified TDC, and verified with a protractor that the counter balance weight is at least in the same position as that of the old damper. Keep in mind, the old damper counterbalance wound not have spun, as it is not on the outer ring with the timing marks. The engine seems to run very smoothly now. The damper I got was from an Australian company, specifically designed for the Cleveland. Australia had the Cleveland in production for a much longer time than we did here in the US. That is part of the reason I went with that specific damper.

Nice sleuthing job of finding that little demon. It appears you are making nice progress on getting it dialed in. Congrats!

Back