Alternator light coming on very dim

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach1, 2003 Cobra coupe
I drove my 72 sprint today and the alternator idiot light light came on but it was on very dimly. I supposed I should get the battery and alternator checked out. The car ran fine otherwise even though it was about 20 degrees this morning. What do you guys think?

Get the electrical checked out! Battery/alternator, sometimes a dim idiot light is a sign of a short pulling your system down. Sometimes it's just the alternator beginning to fail. Don't take a chance. Get them tested!

Get the electrical checked out! Battery/alternator, sometimes a dim idiot light is a sign of a short pulling your system down. Sometimes it's just the alternator beginning to fail. Don't take a chance. Get them tested!
I'll do that. My alternator died late at night on a trip to NJ via 95 near a very rough part of Philly in the Mach1. My wife was not a fan of the Mustang that trip. :rolleyes:

It sounds like a diode failure (open) in the alternator. Do you have a voltage reading at the battery with the car running? Chuck

I upgraded to the 3G alternator some time ago and have never looked back.

Latest posts

Back