Any good engine builders in my area?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1
I'm going to be moving to the Lansdale PA (19446) area in the next month and was wondering if anyone knew someone who they trust that can rebuild my 351C for me? I'm planning on picking up a 408 kit possibly but still need to decide if that's the direction I want to go but that's for another discussion. Not building anything wild, just an nice street engine with some spirit!

I'm moving from the Hatboro area (19040) and already have the engine out of the car. I figured it would just be better to drop it off at the shop that would be doing the work in the process of moving into my new house. There is a local guy who does really good work but only does work exclusively for a performance shop (JD's). He unfortunately will not do jobs outside of that shop. I'm not interested in paying a higher price because I have to go through that shop to have said guy build the engine.

I'm not against shipping the engine out if need be but I'd like to see if there is anyone reputable locally first. Thanks

Rebuilding and "building a stroker" , that will turn into OH and I need a 3G upgrade, alum waterpump , can you run in on a stand / I'll get the MSD/Distributor and carb to you before..........is two different things !

1) you will find out (in talking) who will talk about the "pieces you are giving him" (open chamber/smog intake (?) and what you need on a stock vs a stroker for fuel.

2) If you are moving , does that mean YOU DON'T have space/time or just knowledge to build yourself? Also what does this mean, "I'm not interested in paying a higher price because I have to go through that shop to have said guy build the engine."

All I can say is USE CARE and "vet these people" with discussions with satisfied SEEN invoices/builds !! A "well known" HIGHLY promoted shop in MI "proved to be incompetent" with a recent AMC build for a friend. He WAS TOLD , may not want to use wrenchworks BUT HE did and engine out three times, OTHERS found the problem (actually problems) !!

Good luck and consider guys that do clevelands all the time, Tommy/Jimmy H. etc etc (they are pretty close) Hell I drove a motor to CA once "because that was the guy to do it"

Mark

P.S. I grew up in Mont Co , lived in Telford/Lansdale etc etc BUT have no shop suggestions. I use 3 machine shops here in MI , depending on if a Cleveland, FE or Turbo motor - then assemble in the winter. (cars in summer/motors in winter)

Rebuilding and "building a stroker" , that will turn into OH and I need a 3G upgrade, alum waterpump , can you run in on a stand / I'll get the MSD/Distributor and carb to you before..........is two different things !

I guess I left a lot out when posting. I've been slowly putting together pieces for this car over the years. I haven't fully decided if I'm going to stroke the motor or just do some kind of performance rebuild. I currently have FPA Headers, blue thunder intake, quickfuel 750 slayer, TKO 600, larger rad with electric fans, still need to upgrade alt to 3G and all new suspension. All A-arms and control arms are stock replacements. The springs are eaton (factory w/ac weight) with 1"lower. The shocks are blis sport front and back with TPC 4.5 mid eye leaf springs.

1) you will find out (in talking) who will talk about the "pieces you are giving him" (open chamber/smog intake (?) and what you need on a stock vs a stroker for fuel.

I'm not building a race car but more of a street machine. I understand that I still need all the pieces to come together correctly. Still might just use my stock 4V open heads but get them cleaned up.

2) If you are moving , does that mean YOU DON'T have space/time or just knowledge to build yourself?  Also what does this mean,  "I'm not interested in paying a higher price because I have to go through that shop to have said guy build the engine."

I have the space but neither the time or know how to rebuild myself. I'm more interested in finding the right machine shop that knows what they are doing and is going to do what they say. I'd prefer to use a place that has a dyno to break the motor in on.

The not being interested in paying a higher price deal is if I wanted to use this engine builder I'd have to do it through this specific shop (almost like a 3rd party deal) and it would cost me more to do that vs just going to the builder directly. Problem is this build works specifically for said shop.  

All I can say is USE CARE and "vet these people" with discussions with satisfied SEEN invoices/builds !!   A "well known" HIGHLY promoted shop in MI "proved to be incompetent" with a recent AMC build for a friend.  He WAS TOLD , may not want to use wrenchworks BUT HE did and engine out three times, OTHERS found the problem (actually problems) !!

Good luck and consider guys that do clevelands all the time, Tommy/Jimmy H. etc etc  (they are pretty close)  Hell I drove a motor to CA once "because that was the guy to do it"

Mark

P.S.  I grew up in Mont Co , lived in Telford/Lansdale etc etc  BUT have no shop suggestions.   I use 3 machine shops here in MI , depending on if a Cleveland, FE or Turbo motor - then assemble in the winter.   (cars in summer/motors in winter)

I know from talking to enough people that there are shops that know engines and there are shops that know Cleveland's.

I thought I had a good shop picked out but the guy just doesn't seem to want to get back to me with a quote. I spoke to him twice and he said he was going to send it the next day...2 days later I still don't have it. This is not the kind of guy I want to do business with. So I figured I'd come here and see who builds a good Cleveland and how far are they from me?

compression is king so i would build it with more compression than you have with your current set up.

i also don't install the front bearing more than around .005" deep to prevent exposing much of the oil hole in the block.

yeah you are right to listen to your gut !!! Humans are the only animals that RUN TO DANGER !!! So if you feel, you aren't getting commincation BEFORE sending money, DONT !!

Why is the motor the necessity now? Is the car restored, painted or READY as a roller, just need a motor?

Mark

yeah you are right to listen to your gut !!!   Humans are the only  animals that RUN TO DANGER !!!  So if you feel, you aren't getting commincation BEFORE sending money, DONT !!

Why is the motor the necessity now?  Is the car restored, painted or READY as a roller, just need a motor?    

Mark

I still need to do the body but that is years down the road. It's good enough to enjoy driving for a while. I'm getting the drivers side floor and trunk pan replaced soon. So I pulled the motor so I could clean up the engine bay but the engine needs a redo anyway so I figured I'd do it up while it's out. I'll be doing the interior myself after the floors are done. With having pretty much everything else the motor is the last part.

That is why I asked. I too don't do motors , until body, plumbing and suspension (detail or upgrade) is done (as the car apart) takes up so much room/money (in all stages)

It sounds like you are ok , with a long term project! So SO many either fool themselves , by watching TV shows OR underestimate the time for the stages, not thinking about seasons, work flow, life and health.

Again I THINK you are in a better place than most !! IF you did you work flow as described, welding/paint interior YOU WANT TO DO......in that time frame "you may luck into" a motor/package done at a discount! (Now I only say that because I don't think a 73 has the cost/value that a full replacement is out of the ordinary) So SO many are building cars with Mod motors and FI - performance Clevelands builds are getting replaced and people need to fund. Even your motor has value as a trade , in buying a package.

Mark

That is why I asked.  I too don't do motors , until body, plumbing and suspension (detail or upgrade) is done (as the car apart) takes up so much room/money (in all stages)

It sounds like you are ok , with a long term project!   So SO many either fool themselves , by watching TV shows OR underestimate the time for the stages, not thinking about seasons, work flow, life and health.  

Again I THINK you are in a better place than most !!   IF you did you work flow as described, welding/paint interior YOU WANT TO DO......in that time frame "you may luck into" a motor/package done at a discount!    (Now I only say that because I don't think a 73 has the cost/value that a full replacement is out of the ordinary)    So SO many are building cars with Mod motors and FI - performance Clevelands builds are getting replaced and people need to fund.   Even your motor has value as a trade , in buying a package.

Mark

Yeah, this is not a track meet. I just figured since I had the motor out and needed to move it to the new house I'd just move it to a machine shop. Might hold off for a little anyway with just moving in. Everything looks to be in good working order but you never know until you start living there. Still I'd like to do my research ahead of time on finding a good builder for when the time comes. I have lots to do between engine bay, floors and interior. I have all new sport skins and foam to install also...

Latest posts

Back