Anyone do a 3G Alternator swap?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverback

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
I'm wondering if anyone has swapped one in the place of their stock alternator. I figure I'll eventually run electric fans and I'm thinking of a few other things _and_ I have one sitting in the basement (plus the setup on mine is all hacked together and weird anyway)

Anyone have any details? Wiring/brackets? Pulley???

I recently did a 6G (2000 Taurus 3.0L) swap on my 5.0.

Had it in stock, so I used it after having a grey regulator installed (there are 6 different reg styles for this application :dodgy:).

The stock 5.0 2G's are fire prone (very poorly engineered OE charge wire and connector choices). One of my coworkers almost cooked his '85 LTD down to the ground this past weekend, so the "rumors" about them is true.

Anyhow, the 6G is very similar to the 3G, aside from the regulator. I basically reused the stock harness and added a 4 gauge charge wire with a 175A mega fuse near the battery. Would have been no problem to fab a complete "harness" if needed, but the gains would have been zero.

The 6G even has a provision on the back of the case for adding another ground to the frame for added insurance. I used a short piece of leftover 4GA for the secondary ground.

I will definitely install one on my '71 when the time comes. As for the pulley, I don't know what to do there. Haven't researched it enough yet since I'm still on the fence regarding the whole powerplant choice anyhow. I tried to install the aluminum 5.0 power pulley on the 6G but it is slightly different than the stock steel 6G (same diameter but different offset/spacing). V-belt will be a whole different game. Probably can find info via Google I'd bet.

Here's a very good site:

http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=63

Wiring is super simple and straightforward. Works great on my Fox car.

3G wiring:

http://oldfuelinjection.com/public/alternator/3G-ALT_wiring.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Back