Austin Vert Gets Clocked Follow Up

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
Hi To All,

Just following through as promised about getting my clock changed over to a quartz movemnt with the Clock Works Company in America.

Just got the clock back, and am in the process of bench testing the unit for accurate time keeping. I've had it running straight for 2 to 3 days, and it's keeping perfect time so far. Also, i wanted to give a free plug to Jerry and the team at the Clock Works Company. They were very professional and friendy to deal with, the price was OK, and they've done a great job on upgrading my '73 original factory clock. I would recommend the company to anyone who wants this kind of job done.

I got Jerry to remove the two blue original plastic cover pods that go inside the back of the clock, as they were greatly cutting down the light intensity of the clock. I just popped 2 new LED green bulbs straight into the bulb holders, and the clock face looks great in the dark with good ilummination.

Reference: http://www.clockwks.com/Quartzx.html

Many Thanks,

Greg.:)

Thanks Jeff, but pic wise, there's not much to see. The original face and winder knob mech stays the same, and the green colored lightup can't be seen properly when i take the pic and the flash goes off. Here is one anyway.

IMG_6726.JPG

Question 1. Would you mind indicating what they charged? Their site indicates a pretty broad range of 139 - 209.

Question 2. Okay nit-picky question. But since my clock has never worked I'm curious. Does the second hand tick or sweep? Looks awesome!

Thanks folks. Installation of the quartz movement in my Mustang clock cost $169.95 plus shipping costs. The old movement used to have a ticking sound,and the second hand had a stop/start action with each second passing as the needle swept around the dial. Unfortunately, you loose that action now with the quartz movement, as there is no more ticking noise(silent action), and the second hand has a continous movement as it sweeps around the dial. I think the trade off for a unit that is much more reliable and accurate, is well worth the gain compared to the loss of that old original tick, tick action, unless original perfectionism is what is most important to you.

BTW - I purchased separately, a new front lens cover as well, which gives the clock a new fresh appearence too. Also, i recently purchased a couple of LED lighting kits for my dashboard lights. I had a couple of green indicator bulbs left over from that project, and i decided to make use of them to put into the back of the clock body, without the old blue original bulb cover pods. You could use any colored LED bulbs you want for that application, to suit your own personal taste. Illumination brightness now is very good.

This movement should run 10 years without the need for periodic service and keep much more accurate time than the original type movement. Unlike some conversions, the installation will not alter the face of the clock and will run off your car’s existing wiring. The original set stem remains functional. Conversions carry a 2 year warranty. Turnaround time probably won't exceed a few days.

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back