Autolite Flip Top Gas Cap Install

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyTownsend

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1 351 2v
67 Triumph Spitfire MKII
69 Gto 400
I have an Autolite gas cap I’m assuming off a 71 that I want to use on my 73 Mach but the original filler neck doesn’t line up with the holes on the cap.

Anyone know how to solve this? Do I buy a 71 filler neck?

Thanks Johnny

Here’s a pic of cap and my fuel neck

It should if the button on top

Installed like this.

67e6b04b096ef04f1b945f65d1aad362.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny, the same filler neck was used from 71-73 regardless of the fuel cap used. As red351 and David have stated the cap latches at the top and hinges from the bottom.

Turn cap 180 degrees from the way you have posted in picture and it should work.

Just a word of caution. There was a safety issue with those caps leaking fuel in accidents and the Government got involved. That's why Ford did not production install those on 72-73 Mustangs. The seal also appears to have two cracks which will prevent a good seal at the filler neck. Not trying to bust your bubble on your find, I have the same cap on two 71 Mach 1's.

There was a safety issue with those caps leaking fuel in accidents and the Government got involved.
Pinto carryover.... lol

The seal also appears to have two cracks which will prevent a good seal at the filler neck.
Improves venting....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I had to drill the hole where the post is i guess it was a bit smaller, as for the safety issue I saw a lot of articles on that, I also think I had issue because of the screws I had were the ones in picture and not flush like there supposed to be. I couldn’t find the correct screw at Lowe’s , but I may be able to order some. I figured a bit of rtv on the cracks may help along with the rubber renew liquid I have that helps soften things. I also may cut a new rubber gasket and try to replace the original.

Thanks guys

I had to drill the hole where the post is i guess it was a bit smaller, as for the safety issue I saw a lot of articles on that, I also think I had issue because of the screws I had were the ones in picture and not flush like there supposed to be. I couldn’t find the correct screw at Lowe’s , but I may be able to order some. I figured a bit of rtv on the cracks may help along with the rubber renew liquid I have that helps soften things. I also may cut a new rubber gasket and try to replace the original.

Thanks guys
 I found a nice 71 flip-open gas cap a few years ago, paid 10 bucks for it!, but the rubber was shot. Needing some rubber about 1/16" thick, I managed to get samples of pond liner which I then soaked in gasoline for a few days. I found the gas eat one, but one was okay, so I made the new seal from that. What I'm saying here is you'll need to find material that is gas proof, so don't just use whatever you find. If I'm not mistaken, the twist on caps are vented whereas the flip open is not, so make sure your return vent line is clear (blow through it!)

Geoff.

EDIT: 7pm. I just took a closer look at he center piece of the flip open cap I have and I may have been mistaken. It indeed looks like there is a vent of some sort, it's just not that obvious by taking a quick look. I stand corrected. However, I would still make sure that either the return vent or the cap vent work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the flip open caps have a vent that allows air in but not out (i cant remember for sure). They have a hole in the center of the cap with some mechanism in there, at least mine. In my case i eliminated the charcoal canister so with a screw driver i broke whatever was inside the cap and it allows air in and out through said hole. I have been running it this way with no problems.

In response to one of the previous posts that Ford stopped installing flip open fuel filler caps in the 1972-1973 models: My 72 Mach 1 came with the flip open fuel filler cap from the factory. My car is an August of 1971 production. Just for FYI purposes and not to bust balls.

Ron

Ron, none busted here. There are a lot a variables and fuzzy lines involved when trying to figure these beasts out. There were some early 72 Mach 1's that did make it out the door with the flip down cap. (Just like the 4bl Ram Air cars) With out a way to figure an exact date when a change took place I try not to back myself into a corner. When 72 production started the flip down filler cap was part of the Mach 1 package. In fact your cap is probably marked "D2ZA-BA". Ford was still duking it out with Government over the 71 cap issue . The 71 cap was revised four times and still did not resolve the leaking problem. All the revised 72 sales brochure and order guides (as of 1/72) I have show the twist style cap on the Mach 1. Since several new emissions and safety related laws were going into effect  January 72 I can only guess that is when Ford changed the cap and got the Feds off their back. The Pinto issue was still to come!!     :D

Ron, none busted here. There are a lot a variables and fuzzy lines involved when trying to figure these beasts out. There were some early 72 Mach 1's that did make it out the door with the flip down cap. (Just like the 4bl Ram Air cars)  With out a way to figure an exact date when a change took place I try not to back myself into a corner. When 72 production started the flip down filler cap was part of the Mach 1 package. In fact your cap is probably marked "D2ZA-BA". Ford was still duking it out with Government over the 71 cap issue . The 71 cap was revised four times and still did not resolve the leaking problem. All the revised 72 sales brochure and order guides (as of 1/72) I have show the twist style cap on the Mach 1. Since several new emissions and safety related laws were going into effect  January 72 I can only guess that is when Ford changed the cap and got the Feds off their back. The Pinto issue was still to come!!     :D
I am with you on that Secluff in that figuring out what made a certain years production and what did not make it is at times an enigma. I do love my flip open gas cap. I guess we may be referred to as Mustang nerds for our fastidious attention to their history. I have a 72 that it is early production and does not have the passenger side seat belt waring light. Ford was not in the mood to put it in yet? I am glad it is not there LOL.  I checked the original cap and it is marked Autolite DIZA-9A112-BB (I have repro on the car now as the original's hinge broke :huh: ).  Best, Ron

I believe the flip open caps have a vent that allows air in but not out (i cant remember for sure). They have a hole in the center of the cap with some mechanism in there, at least mine. In my case i eliminated the charcoal canister so with a screw driver i broke whatever was inside the cap and it allows air in and out through said hole. I have been running it this way with no problems.

Tony, I just updated my previous post reflecting the fact the flip-open caps are vented. Thanks for the correction.

Geoff.

Ron, none busted here. There are a lot a variables and fuzzy lines involved when trying to figure these beasts out. There were some early 72 Mach 1's that did make it out the door with the flip down cap. (Just like the 4bl Ram Air cars)  With out a way to figure an exact date when a change took place I try not to back myself into a corner. When 72 production started the flip down filler cap was part of the Mach 1 package. In fact your cap is probably marked "D2ZA-BA". Ford was still duking it out with Government over the 71 cap issue . The 71 cap was revised four times and still did not resolve the leaking problem. All the revised 72 sales brochure and order guides (as of 1/72) I have show the twist style cap on the Mach 1. Since several new emissions and safety related laws were going into effect  January 72 I can only guess that is when Ford changed the cap and got the Feds off their back. The Pinto issue was still to come!!     :D
I am with you on that Secluff in that figuring out what made a certain years production and what did not make it is at times an enigma. I do love my flip open gas cap. I guess we may be referred to as Mustang nerds for our fastidious attention to their history. I have a 72 that it is early production and does not have the passenger side seat belt waring light. Ford was not in the mood to put it in yet? I am glad it is not there LOL.  I checked the original cap and it is marked Autolite DIZA-9A112-BB (I have repro on the car now as the original's hinge broke :huh: ).  Best, Ron
I believe in January they had to start putting the seatbelt warning light in. The regulations were really starting to kick in.

Ron, I noticed you mentioned your 72 was built August 71. My Pewter 71 was built on 7/28/71 which was Wednesday of the last week in July. Since your car was probably built just days after my 71 rolled off the line they were probably still using the 71 caps.  The part number for the cap (D1ZZ-9030-C) remained the same even though they have been found with D1ZA and D2ZA prefixes. I guess we could be classified as Mustang nerds. I used to laugh at my Camaro buddies when they would go anal over park light shapes and wrong things they could spot from a 100 yards away!

The Right side seat belt light didn't enter production until 12/1/71, so early 72's did not have the Government mandated lamp which was a Jan 72 requirement. Just one of the things I had mentioned that was coming at the first of the year. Doesn't it make you feel good our Government was so busy protecting us from ourselves!!

Ron, I noticed you mentioned your 72 was built August 71. My Pewter 71 was built on 7/28/71 which was Wednesday of the last week in July. Since your car was probably built just days after my 71 rolled off the line they were probably still using the 71 caps.  The part number for the cap (D1ZZ-9030-C) remained the same even though they have been found with D1ZA and D2ZA prefixes. I guess we could be classified as Mustang nerds. I used to laugh at my Camaro buddies when they would go anal over park light shapes and wrong things they could spot from a 100 yards away!

The Right side seat belt light didn't enter production until 12/1/71, so early 72's did not have the Government mandated lamp which was a Jan 72 requirement. Just one of the things I had mentioned that was coming at the first of the year. Doesn't it make you feel good our Government was so busy protecting us from ourselves!!
Secluff, very cool that our cars were built just a couple of weeks apart. Thank you for the clarification on the seat belt light. I do have the "belts" light on the left lower instrument panel. Like I said I am glad I do not have the pass. side one. Today's "nanny state" we live in makes 1971 seem pretty mild. I guess there were less lawyers then. Like your Camaro buddys I know some pretty anal MOPAR people. I often preach that our Mustangs are the safest of the first generation cars due to the massive doors with it's inner beam and a fuel tank that is not doing double duty as the trunk floor. Look what a beating Eleanor took in the first and IMO only Gone in 60 seconds. Well back to yard work  :-/

Ron

Ummm...the original GISS was heavily modified with roll cages and significant stiffening as well. You just don't see much of it during the movie.

Johnny, the same filler neck was used from 71-73 regardless of the fuel cap used. As red351 and David have stated the cap latches at the top and hinges from the bottom.

Turn cap 180 degrees from the way you have posted in picture and it should work.

Just a word of caution. There was a safety issue with those caps leaking fuel in accidents and the Government got involved. That's why Ford did not production install those on 72-73 Mustangs. The seal also appears to have two cracks which will prevent a good seal at the filler neck. Not trying to bust your bubble on your find, I have the same cap on two 71 Mach 1's.
Yes the leak, especially noticeable when parked on an incline like my driveway.   :shootself:

Back