Automatic Shifter Rebuild Kit Installation 1969-1973

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
01 Bullitt

Mustang Automatic Shifter Lever Rebuild Kit 1965-1993 | CJ Pony Parts

If you're having problems with the automatic shifter in your classic Mustang, there might be an easier fix than replacing your entire shifter. Using Scott Drake's Automatic Shifter Indicator and a shifter lever rebuild kit with plastic bushings, Bill demonstrates how to perform an automatic shifter rebuild.

The first step is to remove the shifter housing from the car, then separate the shift handle from the lever and take off the console. Remove the screws that hold down the shifter plate along with the four bolts that hold the shift bucket to the transmission tunnel.Take out the stock shifter and install the new bushings.If your shifter indicator is damaged, install the new Scott Drake shifter indicator at this point, as well.

Reassemble your stock shifter and return it to its location in your car. Total installation of the bushings and indicator takes around an hour and a half.

Scott Drake Automatic Shifter Indicator Ford Tooling 1969-1973:

C9ZZ-7A110-A Mustang Scott Drake Automatic Shifter Indicator Ford Tooling 1969-1973 | CJ Pony Parts

See more 1969-1973 Transmission Hardware from CJ Pony Parts:

Mustang Transmission Hardware | CJ Pony Parts

Just wanted to comment on a few things. First, the video was a HUGE help, so thank you! I didn't buy the kit as I had a few pieces but I wanted a new shifter and T-handle (which I got from you). Everything went great, I just had 1 challenge. The adjustment screw on the bottom of the shifter arm for the internal cable. I didn't see anything about it or read anything anywhere so I put in the new bushings, put in new shifter, reassembled, reconnected everything and when I put the T-handle on, I couldn't get into all the gears (I have a 71 w/ C6 Auto). Turns out there was not enough tension on the internal cable AND, you can't get to it while it's in place. Jacked car back up, took the whole unit out again and fiddled with it on the bench until I got it just right. When I put it back this time, it was great.

So, just a word of advice to anyone doing this, 1) Watch the video, it's great and 2) If you replace the shifter, check the cable tension BEFORE you put it back in or you will be doing it twice like I did.

Really happy with how the bushings and new shifter made it all work. Went from sloppy to smooth and tight.

Hey, Steve,

I recently swapped in an AOD, and my shift lever, although it works... is not lined up properly. It look slike I'm half way between D and 2 when I'm in Drive. Will this kit help me solve that issue?

OK i talked to Bill and this is what he had to say.

No it won’t. The stock shifter works weird with the AOD. We made quite a few adjustments to the cables to get drive even close to lined up and it was still slightly off. You are just going to have to mess around with it, the stock shifter will work with an AOD but it’s not perfect.

Cool video and something I need to do myself. Is that a hole in the wheel well?
what part of the video?
The part where you show the rear wheel spin. On the bottom right it looks like a hole but it could be a shadow.
Yeah it does look like it. I will have to go out and look at the car later to confirm.

Back