Back up lights

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naa10104

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, matching #'s H Code, Auto
Hello,

Have a 73 with C6 trans. Last week noticed one BU light was out. Only had one new bulb so I put it in each socket today with car running and in reverse...no back up lights on either side. Prior to checking I cleaned both sockets,(which were not terrible) and put some dielectic grease in. Fuse also good. Any idea if it could be the reverse switch if there is one ? All parking lights work. Where would that be ? THanks

jiggle the floor shifter and have somebody behind you tell you if the lights come on or not. that is a simple linkage adjustment.

could also be bad contact in the sockets.

try rotating the bulb 180 degrees and reinstall in the socket.

jiggle the floor shifter and have somebody behind you tell you if the lights come on or not. that is a simple linkage adjustment.

could also be bad contact in the sockets.

try rotating the bulb 180 degrees and reinstall in the socket.

Thanks ... is there a switch or is it just the linkage ? If so I am guessing the linkage has to be adjusted from under the car. Does the neutral safety switch have anything to do with the BU lights ? Thanks very much.

Yes, the backup light switch is combined with the neutral safety switch.
Hello,

Follow up question concerning the above problem and neutral safety switch. App. 5% of the time when I attempt to start my car I have to move the shifter into neutral or push it forward a little to get the car to start. Happens so infrequently that I have never bothered with it/adjusted it. Given the issues that I am now having with the BU lights should I just replace the BU switch or adjust it first and see what happens. I believe I read somewhere that the BU switch can actually be cleaned and lubed. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

The last time my backup lights failed it was due to faulty Neutral Safety Switch. After replacing, they worked (and continue to work) as they should. Easy replacement on the C6.

The last time my backup lights failed it was due to faulty Neutral Safety Switch. After replacing, they worked (and continue to work) as they should. Easy replacement on the C6.
Thanks ... any suggestions as to the best place/price ?

Hello question concerning the installation of a new neutral safety switch on a C6 auto transmission. Does the new switch have to be installed with the transmission in park or neutral ? I installed the new switch with the car in park and adjusted it per instructions with the car in neutral. Everything seems to work except I cannot shift the shifter lower than drive. it won't go into second or first now. Any suggestions thanks

did you make sure the switch was in the neutral position where the hole lines up on the side so you can insert a drill pin to lock it in place while you hook up the linkage?

did you make sure the switch was in the neutral position where the hole lines up on the side so you can insert a drill pin to lock it in place while you hook up the linkage?
Hello,

After I installed the switch I shifted the trans into N and tried to insert the drill bit into the alignment hole, it would not go in deep enough. I rotated the switch until the drill bit dropped almost a half inch in. I then snugged the switch's two mounting bolts. I know the switch is installed properly as it will only bolt onto the housing one way.

I have two areas I need clarification on :

Should the transmission be in Park or Neutral when you actually install the new switch onto the trans ? I had the car in park.

When I installed the switch I rotated the circular collar in the switch that the shifting shaft goes thru all the way forward,(counter-clockwise) and made sure that the two keys on the inside of the collar fit into the corresponding slots on the shaft. Is it possible that the collar in the switch needs to be turn ed 180 degrees the other way ?

Thanks

Back