Best car for my teenage son? Advice needed.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golf TDI or GT Stang for teenage son's first car?

• Total voters
Yeah Whitesoc.... pretty funny. My daughter a likable little creature is showing 'some' interest in older cars and dads music. side note: one day she walks up "hey dad listen to this song i found its COOL" I listen and its Ozzy playing Iron Man:cool:

So she walks into the garage looks at the Mach I and the convertible...."hey Dad....which car will I get when i turn 16" (she's 13 now) "well honey which one do you like" "I really like the black on it sounds cool"

Well guess what honey NEITHER ONE!!!!!:D:D:D:D

I have 5 kids ages 17 boy, 11b, 8g, 6b, & 2g. All of them except the 2 year old are jockeying for position as to which car they're going to get. We have 7 cars at last count and each has their favorite. :rolleyes:

By the way, all the favorite they've picked out are the Mustangs! :cool::D

I guess the wife could drive the Jetta and I'd get the Excursion! That's a win-win for everybody.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm at the point right now of possibly selling te bullitt..... And buying myself a truck ....not that I really need a truck I just figure it will be easier when the kidlet turns 16. But everytime I get in the bullitt I say " let him get his own car". I know I know. Bad dad! Lol

Ken

mustang mustang mustang mustang.. did i say mustang???? then again, im guilty of being an import hater and a kid myself, got my '71 when i was 16 and have yet to own a car that I didn't modify or beat on... so i guess my opinion is kinda pointless.. but oh yeah... MUSTANG!!!!

mustang mustang mustang mustang.. did i say mustang???? then again, im guilty of being an import hater and a kid myself, got my '71 when i was 16 and have yet to own a car that I didn't modify or beat on... so i guess my opinion is kinda pointless.. but oh yeah... MUSTANG!!!!
LOL!! Joe, your opinion is still welcome and respected, even if you're still a "kid". We'll ignore it, of course, but it's still welcome. :p

Just kidding. Thanks for sharing your perspective.

Doc

If not a mustang.. what about a well taken care of SHO? or even a contour SVT? fun to drive and u keep the blue oval in your driveway.. Focus's are really fun to drive too and damn good on gas. My first car was a bronco 2 lol 2nd was a 88 lx 5.0 5spd... what a fun car... i wasent a lead foot though soo i was ok most of the time!

UPDATE: Decision made

I decided to give him some options:

1. Funds matching up to $3000 for him to purchase a car.

2. "Sell" him the 93 GT for 3k and he can drive it once he pays for the car in full and he fully owns it. Mustang has 91k original miles, but has low oil pressure. He is responsible for cost of parts and he must do the repair (with me providing technical guidance).

3. "Sell" him the golf for 3k and until it's paid in full, he can limitedly drive it when necessary.

He picked the mustang option.

Stipulations required. ANY tickets or accidents then he is immediately responsible for his insurance, will NOT be allowed to drive any of our cars, and still wont have access to driving the mustang until he pays off the car.

He got right to work on it... the way I see it, having a GT ready to go once he gets the cash is an excellent motivator to get out and bust his butt getting the money together. Since low oil pressure, I suggested he pull the engine to really see what's going on (more on that problem on a new thread).

Here are some pics since we all like pics. ;)

DSC_29614x5.jpg

DSC_29634x5.jpg

It's missing the oil pan because we attempted to do the repair while engine was still in the car. We pulled the trans with the idea of a T5 conversion (on his dime)...we'll see if that happens. My thinking is more motivation for him.

Thanks. I'll post more pics here as we go along...no use creating a 93GT build page on the 7173 forum.:p

Btw, I have no idea where I got that Toyota teeshirt. :huh:

It´s great... giving your kid the choice shows him the need for responsability and making him work to get his things is the kind of things that can make him be actually responsable... I think that´s the hole point for a father to help the kid to grow up... Free stuff can turn any young men into a spoiled being and that´s bad any way you look...

I agree 100% with your method Don... I´m sure once your boy pais for the car and work 100 hours to repair it, he´s going to take good care of this car and much more important, of his life during his driving...

Besides all that, you guys, father and son are gonna get even closer during the tune up, kind of restoration of this car... So... ENJOY!! :)

Well done Don!! THis is something that he will remember for the rest of his life.....working on HIS first mustang with dad!

Ken
X2 totally.. that´s the spirit you have to have Don... This is going to be a project your son will remember for the rest of his life and he will apreciate if more and more as the time and the eras goes by...

Back