Best Oil

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run Castrol 10W40 and add Lucas break in additive about 3 oz 10W40 is what has been run in it since new.
The rest of my cars I've run Shell Rotella 15W40 for over 30 years never had a problem.

I have another can of worms to open on oil. If you store your car over winter, do you change the oil in the fall before storage or in the spring when you get it ready to run? I always felt fall was better so the old oil, which I was told was acidic, didnt sit all winter long on the engine parts. Your thoughts?
I have many cars, store many all the time, I change oil only when they hit 3000 miles and have been doing that for decades with zero issues. Believe changing oil before/after storage is "hinky" foe everyone to buy much more oil.

Now flipside, coolant acidity is a huge issue. I monitor this regularly with pH strips. My opinion only.

Damm, I just want use Quaker State 30W with my can opener style spout and be done with it! Lol
Lol. The young crowd doesn't know what we're laughing about!

Attachments

• 16788321653973505200741915006779.jpg
    16788321653973505200741915006779.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
I have many cars, store many all the time, I change oil only when they hit 3000 miles and have been doing that for decades with zero issues. Believe changing oil before/after storage is "hinky" foe everyone to buy much more oil.

Now flipside, coolant acidity is a huge issue. I monitor this regularly with pH strips. My opinion only.
Thanks for that. I think I will start checking the coolant.

You must be one 'cause you posted the wrong thing!View attachment 74412
This item is only recognized by the 50 and over crowd. Dad used one of those bad boys to top up the oil (Quakerstate) in the Mustang when I was a kid. I do remember when plastic oil bottles became the go to container in the early 80s. I wish I knew where that spout went. I have a bunch of vintage oil cans from the old days and they are all full.

Ron

This item is only recognized by the 50 and over crowd. Dad used one of those bad boys to top up the oil (Quakerstate) in the Mustang when I was a kid. I do remember when plastic oil bottles became the go to container in the early 80s. I wish I knew where that spout went. I have a bunch of vintage oil cans from the old days and they are all full.

Ron
No, I'm not 50 and I used them growing up. My kids all know what they are too because I still have a few.

Well then there, I’m getting up there in ‘sperience and back in the day after we would do oil changes from the spout and cardboard quarts, we would cut the tops off and fill them with gas, drop a M80 into it to do 60’ mushroom flamers.

I read somewhere (I think it was in Mustang Monthly magazine before they went out of business" that simply going to 10W40 would protect our older engines without needing any special additives. May not hold true for higher HP engines but for my stock motor it seems to work just fine.

Well then there, I’m getting up there in ‘sperience and back in the day after we would do oil changes from the spout and cardboard quarts, we would cut the tops off and fill them with gas, drop a M80 into it to do 60’ mushroom flamers.
That sounds awesome and dangerous all at once.

I read somewhere (I think it was in Mustang Monthly magazine before they went out of business" that simply going to 10W40 would protect our older engines without needing any special additives. May not hold true for higher HP engines but for my stock motor it seems to work just fine.
Yes, but that may have been before they removed all the zinc from most oils. Every cam manufacture out there reccomends high zinc oil or a zinc additive to protect flat tappet cams.

Back