big block mach

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71Rustang

Reaction score
My Car
71 Boss 302 Trans Am ,race car
Hello everyone,I have been doing my home work on installing a BB in my mach and I have happilly found there is some dissimformation out there.The ONLY parts I had to buy were the plates that bolt to the block on 429/460 found on e-bay with D1 insulators for 80$ the,brackets themselves are 80$ local napa 67-71 BB rubber mounts are 25$ a piece did not buy them didn't need them.

The biggie is the frame mounts I found that most think and say that 429 frame mounts and cleveland mounts are different. BS. THE FRAME MOUNTS ARE EXACTLLY THE SAME. factory m code, just pulled out the 351 and set in a 460 out of 73 lincoln,:D it is perfect. all of those complete change over kits are complete waste of money IMO.

cheers chris

Hello everyone,I have been doing my home work on installing a BB in my mach and I have happilly found there is some dissimformation out there.The ONLY parts I had to buy were the plates that bolt to the block on 429/460 found on e-bay with D1 insulators for 80$ the,brackets themselves are 80$ local napa 67-71 BB rubber mounts are 25$ a piece did not buy them didn't need them.

The biggie is the frame mounts I found that most think and say that 429 frame mounts and cleveland mounts are different. BS. THE FRAME MOUNTS ARE EXACTLLY THE SAME. factory m code, just pulled out the 351 and set in a 460 out of 73 lincoln,:D it is perfect. all of those complete change over kits are complete waste of money IMO.

cheers chris
Hmm, really? I may have to put a 429 in at least one of mine then.

cheers chris
Hmm, really? I may have to put a 429 in at least one of mine then.
Don, I can attest that there is something sweet about a BBF. Big block Ford, that is. Not the other BBF.

I do not think you are correct in your assessment of the 351C and the 429 chassis mounts. The 351C convertable chassis mounts may be the same but the standard mach one 351C are not. I have both sets and have studied them throughly because I didn't believe it either. The thru bolt hole is located differently and the angle is different where the insulator rests and the 429 chassis mounts actually have a stop tab for the insulator. You may also find that you are sitting to low in the chassis and have header clearance issues with the steering box. Please review the attached photos from an original 71 429 Mach 1. I am currently using the correct chassis mounts, block plates and insulators sold by our favorite vendors and it is correct.Stick 050112 062.jpgStick 050112 064.jpgStick 050112 065.jpg

I spent a lot of time on this issue and hope it will save someone else some time.

Thanks,Jay

motor will set about 2 inches to low . put motor in bolted to tranny crossmember and u will see .. i put 429 in 73 fastback . had to move mounts onframe foward 1 inch and raise them 2 inches and was perfect ... used clevland frame mounts

i got a 73 mach 1 and i of course have a 521 stroker motor in. my original mounts are the short ones which i believe they are only 73. however, the other frame mounts are the taller ones which is the ones you need.

what i did and which is still available is buy the entire 6 piece kit from crites restoration. the motor mounts are 67-70 390 motors mounts or 71 429. the block plates however are something i don't know if tey will work on other cars. the easiest thing to do is buy the entire kit from crites. i believe there is anothe company out there that does it but i believe its a solid mount set which wil be more for racing though.

i have found someone in the past that took 71 LTD mounts and modified whatever he had to to make them work.

Hi,I feel that I must respond. the frame mounts in my car look just like the like the pictures posted above.they have the stop tabs but no holes on the top.I used the factory two piece mounts on the 460 and dropped in.motor mount bolts slide in by hand.:p

tonite I just installed the 4spd and cross member back in and everything is just were it should be,my car was a factory 4v cleveland with a 4 spd,the prices on BB headers for mustangs are a joke and I will be making my own.

Chris

I am sure there are many ways to do this installation and as long as we all get the same results, everything is cool.

I saw that Crites Restoration has BB 460 headers for $369.00. Not a bad price considering the amount of time involved fabricating your own, just a thought. I was able to use stock 80's pick-up 460 exhaust manifolds that worked perfect.

I hope you project moves along as well as mine did.

Thanks, Jay

Hello again, I still think that the kits are over priced,but who really knows how ,why and what got bolted in going down the assembly line, this is Ford you know. Anyway I have 2 sets of old cleveland headers that I will cut up and a set of 429 flanges from speedway 40$Oh buy the way I build cars for a living and only buy parts when nessasary;)

Cheers chris

Latest posts

Back