BIG MONEY ON THE '71

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And a 429.

<>

-Kurt
Are the 429s really on-par with the Boss 351s? I remember an article in Mustang Monthly a few years back where they compared a Boss 351 and a 429 Mach 1... and both were Light Pewter (the pictures from that article spend time as my desktop wallpaper, I must admit). The Boss 351 [on paper] was just a tad quicker (because of lighter weight and different gear ratio or something), but the Mach 1 had slightly more power and more/nicer options. As far as rarity goes, I think the Boss 351 had slightly fewer numbers.

Personally, I think I would prefer the Mach 1 as well, mostly because of the interior appointments, but I think the Boss 351 would fetch more money because everybody seems to believe they are worth more because of popularity and rarity.
Well..Old test was done with a automatic 429 cj vs a 4 speed boss...So the old Motor Trend test from 71 was a bit wrong from the start ...on paper thou with all things being equal "gears and 4 speed" even thou 429 was little heavier, was the faster car...I do not know why they keep saying 351 boss come with better gears than a 429 "better than reuglar 429cj"...But even it could still get a 3:50 rear end..Test was done with a 3:25...and i think the 429 SCJ Mustang came with either a 3.91 Traction Lok or a 4.11 Detroit Locker....It been proven on this site a few times...429 SCJ was the fastest car of 71-73 for mustangs...I use to think the same from reading such mags. that the boss was the fastest of our years...And even on the new test they said in quarter mile..the regular 429cj was faster on paper..I do not know why they never test the SCJ against the boss..lol

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featuredvehicles/mump_1112_1971_429_mach_1_1971_boss_351/

Last edited by a moderator:
Back