Blue Thunder

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool.

If you have a high horse engine and want the most out of that intake, I would send it out to have the port flow matched.

Not a high hp motor, just a .030 over bore, little bigger than stock cam & a Holley 770. Don't think I need that mod done, but thank's for the suggestion. I'm sure I'll be much happier with this than the Eddy Performer I have on now.

Not a high hp motor, just a .030 over bore, little bigger than stock cam & a Holley 770. Don't think I need that mod done, but thank's for the suggestion. I'm sure I'll be much happier with this than the Eddy Performer I have on now.
You should be fine installing it straight out of the box. It's a really nice intake manifold for a street car.

Yeah, you definitely won't benefit from doing that than . That is actually my favorite looking dual plane intakes.

You might benefit from curving your distributor advance so it is optimal for your articular setup however.

Nice, I was wondering when they would start shipping. Question, is the blue thunder intake the exact same thing as the Shelby intake?

I have a good lead on a Shelby intake at the same price point as the BT but I think I would rather have the blue thunder since it has no logo.

Nice, I was wondering when they would start shipping. Question, is the blue thunder intake the exact same thing as the Shelby intake?

I have a good lead on a Shelby intake at the same price point as the BT but I think I would rather have the blue thunder since it has no logo.
The Shelby intake was made by Buddy Bar . The Blue Thunder is made from the original Buddy Bar mold, however the mold was modified slightly to remove the script.

Last edited by a moderator:
It also has the Holley carb flange vs the spread bore for the Autolite 4300.

So it's essentially a Boss 351 intake without the markings and a Holley carb flange.

4mm, there are significant differences between the BOSS intake and the Blue Thunder other than the carb pad including larger runner volume in the Blue thunder and different runner shapes.

Ford made a competition version of the BOSS intake which was the same with the exception of the carb pad and elimination of the exhaust ports.

Who did you order it from? I am looking to do the same thing.

Scott
I got it from DSC Motorsports in California. The Phone number is (951)763-9765. I dealt with a guy named Dennis.

I was on a waiting list, so I'm not sure how many they have. It sounded like the people on the list would get theirs first, then they would sell to anyone after that. They actually machine them there, then ship them right out to guys on the list. Good luck, John

4mm, there are significant differences between the BOSS intake and the Blue Thunder other than the carb pad including larger runner volume in the Blue thunder and different runner shapes.

Ford made a competition version of the BOSS intake which was the same with the exception of the carb pad and elimination of the exhaust ports.
Yes I agree. The blue thunder intake is not similar to the Boss 351 intake. Are you talking about the D1ZX DA intake as the competition version?

I've purchased from Dennis before at DSC but I've never tried Survival Motorsports but have heard good things from them. There's a like new Holley Strip Dominator on EBay. Arguably the best all around intake for the 351C.

Yes I agree. The blue thunder intake is not similar to the Boss 351 intake. Are you talking about the D1ZX DA intake as the competition version?
Yes.

Yeah, you definitely won't benefit from doing that than . That is actually my favorite looking dual plane intakes.

You might benefit from curving your distributor advance so it is optimal for your articular setup however.

I've been looking at a lot of info, & trying to learn about curving the distributor advance. I took dist. apart to see if it had been done by the PO. It does look like it has a lighter spring on one side, but I'm not sure.

The weights read: 10L & 15L with the 10L side being used. I had set my initial timing to 15* BTDC & with the mechanical advance being 20*, that would give me a total advance of 35*. Is this correct?

My engine is a 351-4V, .030 over w/a larger than stock hyd. camshaft & steel rockers. It also has a 3.25 open diff & c6 auto trans. I don't know any details about cam, wish I did.

I will be putting on the Blue Thunder intake with a Holley 770 Street Avenger carb. Am I on the right track?003.JPG

You can bend the tangs for the springs in a hair to get the advance to come in a little faster. I use Mr. gasket 925d springs in my recurved distributors.

Back