Boss Valve Covers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1, Grabber Blue w/Argent stripes. Original 2V 351C Auto, Tilt, rear defog, Black Comfortweave Interior. Under restoration. Original colors, 4V 351C, 4-Speed, Spoilers, Magnums, Ram Air. All Ford parts.
Time to start burying the engine in wires and hoses. For the engine feed harness that connects near the firewall and drives coil, water temp, oil pressure, A/C, and carb dashpot I am wanting to know what wire retainers are correct.

I have all the original clips, retainers and metal brackets from the standard steel valve covers. I am putting aluminum Boss 351 covers on it. Do I use the same brackets and retainers? What should I use for Valve cover bolts?

Thanks!

kcmash

I installed a set of Boss 351 valve covers on my 71 M code Mach 1 a long time ago when everything was still available from Ford. I used all the wire loom holders, brackets, and clips that were used on the metal covers. I used the Ford 57623-S7-8 bolts which are

1/4"x20x3/4" cadmium plate with a split washer. The metal valve cover bolts are 1/4"x20x5/8" so there is only 1/8" difference, but the heads of the bolts had Ford blue engine paint and did not look "Right" with those nice Boss covers. The Ford bolts (Ford actually called them screw and washers) are discontinued. You can try to source them locally, or order the AMK manufactured ones. One of our on site venders such as Don (OMS) could get them for you or NPD if Don doesn't carry them.

I'm sure you already know to remove the oil finger/deflectors from the underside of the covers on any 71/ hydraulic lifer Cleveland. If not they will hit the rocker arm mounted deflectors.

And since I'm helping spend your money, I would also obtain some extra "Bling" by adding a Chrome oil filler cap on the left valve cover. The Ford EC-508 is no longer available but do show up on E Bay occasionally, but the last ones produced didn't have very good chrome. Scott Drake has reproduction caps with beautiful chrome and can probably be another OMS sourced part.

Yes, same everything

Hardware store bolts and lock washers . I think the bolts are 5/8" long.

Back