Brake Register for 9 inch Ford small Bearing Axle

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sports Roof Fastback (early model)
1973 Coupe -Under rebuild/restore
All,           

I have been trying to verify the brake drum register diameter of the Ford 9 inch small bearing axles.

I measured with my digital Calipers and got 2.428 inches (61.6712 mm)

I did look up the stock replacement rear drums and they have a Center Bore Diameter (mm): 62.01

Can anybody verify this? 

I am looking into wheel centering rings for my Eibach Pro-Spacer Hubcentric Wheel Spacers - 25mm- Hub-Centric - 70.5mm Bore

Thanks

mustang7173   :thankyouyellow:

Last edited by a moderator:
All,           

I have been trying to verify the brake drum register diameter of the Ford 9 inch small bearing axles.

I did look up the stock replacement rear drums and they have a Center Bore Diameter (mm): 62.01

Can anybody verify this? 

I am looking into wheel centering rings for my Eibach Pro-Spacer Hubcentric Wheel Spacers - 25mm- Hub-Centric - 70.5mm Bore

Thanks

I will go check but I think all were same diameter. The Mercury had a larger hole in the wheel center I know the 73 Aluminum wheels for mercury are larger. Back to you in a few.

All,           

Can anybody verify this? 

Thanks

I will go check but I think all were same diameter. The Mercury had a larger hole in the wheel center I know the 73 Aluminum wheels for mercury are larger. Back to you in a few.
I just measured this one with calipers and got 2.420" checking on the axle stub. 1972 vert. H code 351 open rear.

Just a thought. I do not know why people did not have issues with the Magnum 500 wheels since they do not center up using the hub only the lug bolts. I was always told to stay away from wheels that did not locate on the center especially when we were build race cars.

Yes the lug bolts to center it somewhat but when they also have to carry the weight of the vehicle in shear you have more of a chance of failure. With the center hole of the wheel sitting on the axle hub or the front spindle hub all the bolts do is hold the wheel on.

Hello David,

Thank you for verifying my measurements. Yes, I do agree. I have Eibach 25 mm wheel spacers due to the 2005 -2009 Mustang Bullet style wheels. When I when to remove the rear wheels, this weekend, to replace the front seat mount plate, they were loose. I said, WTF!! Why is this happening? Well, after some research, now I know that it is the spacers and the center registry are not snug together. There is a lot information out the problems, ie, vibrations and loose wheels.

I found these folks here, http://www.justforwheels.com/index.jsp who specialize in the Hub centering rings. I will keep you posted on the up grade.

Thanks again,

mustang7173

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure we have members running the 73 factory aluminum wheels that are probably the Mercury center hole size and can expect the same kind of issues if they do not add a bushing to make the wheel fit the hub.

The way the Mag. 500 is formed there is nothing there to locate the wheel in the center.

Latest posts

Back