C6 shifter lever intall

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naa10104

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, matching #'s H Code, Auto
Hello,

Searched site but could not find explanation.  Am replacing the shifter shaft plastic bushings that are installed in the side of the shifter bucket which rests in the top of the transmission tunnel.  Am having trouble syncing the shifter in the car with the shifter rod under the car that puts the trans in a specific gear.  Have followed instructions from the shop manual and have tried different positions but can not get the gears and selector to line up and work well.  Does anyone have any advice how to do this ?  Second question, when I removed the shifter from the shifter bucket to replace the bushings can the shifter be installed incorrectly back in the bucket or is there only one way to put it back in ?  I am reasonably sure that I put it back in correctly.  If not, I thought this might be the reason why I am having difficulty lining everything up.  As always any help will be greatly appreciated as I am walking away from this for now.  Thanks !!!

Hello,

Searched site but could not find explanation.  Am replacing the shifter shaft plastic bushings that are installed in the side of the shifter bucket which rests in the top of the transmission tunnel.  Am having trouble syncing the shifter in the car with the shifter rod under the car that puts the trans in a specific gear.  Have followed instructions from the shop manual and have tried different positions but can not get the gears and selector to line up and work well.  Does anyone have any advice how to do this ?  Second question, when I removed the shifter from the shifter bucket to replace the bushings can the shifter be installed incorrectly back in the bucket or is there only one way to put it back in ?  I am reasonably sure that I put it back in correctly.  If not, I thought this might be the reason why I am having difficulty lining everything up.  As always any help will be greatly appreciated as I am walking away from this for now.  Thanks !!!
Try loosening the the column lock rod and repeating the manual linkage adjustment (Volume One 17-02-02). You will then need to adjust the lock out rod (17-02-03). Then the ignition switch (17-02-03 and 13-02-12 and 13-02-13). Then Neutral Safety Switch (17-02-03). Do the adjustment in this order. Getting the NSS and backup lights to work at the same time may require very small adjustments on the NSS. Chuck

Hello,

Try loosening the the column lock rod and repeating the manual linkage adjustment (Volume One 17-02-02). You will then need to adjust the lock out rod (17-02-03). Then the ignition switch (17-02-03 and 13-02-12 and 13-02-13). Then Neutral Safety Switch (17-02-03). Do the adjustment in this order. Getting the NSS and backup lights to work at the same time may require very small adjustments on the NSS. Chuck
Thanks, I actually do not have the shop manual, just used that term to explain that I had a schematic for the adjustment.  One I have actually says to do the shifter adjustment first.  I am just wondering if when I installed the two bushing and bolted the shifter handle in the car to the shifter lever outside the car maybe I indexed them wrong.  Wasn't sure if there was only one way to put them back together or if you could misalign then.  Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

If anyone has a good step by step guide to setting up the shifter lever, kickdown lever, and steering lock out lever ...that would help. I have a basic one that I got off this site. Does not seem to be helping. Maybe something that would give me agood starting point so I know all the levers/components are in the correct starting position. I have everything loosened up so I can freely move the shift lever under the car thru all the gears, so I have a starting point as far as knowing what gear the trans is actually in. If anyone knows, can the shifter in the car only be bolted to the shift lever under the car in one way ? Does one have to be indexed to the other or can they oly go together one way ? Thanks

steve

Hello,

Thanks, I actually do not have the shop manual, just used that term to explain that I had a schematic for the adjustment.  One I have actually says to do the shifter adjustment first.  I am just wondering if when I installed the two bushing and bolted the shifter handle in the car to the shifter lever outside the car maybe I indexed them wrong.  Wasn't sure if there was only one way to put them back together or if you could misalign then.  Thanks
You do the shifter linkage first. That is why I said to loosen the lockout rod so that you would be adjusting the shifter linkage first without the lockout rod in play. If you plan on keeping the car, a set of Ford manuals is a worthwhile investment. Chuck

You do the shifter linkage first. That is why I said to loosen the lockout rod so that you would be adjusting the shifter linkage first without the lockout rod in play. If you plan on keeping the car, a set of Ford manuals is a worthwhile investment. Chuck
Thanks ... I have loosened the lock out rod and followed the instructions for setting the shifter linkage, does not want to go all the way into Park.  My instructons advise to place shift selector(console type) in Drive and then go under the car and move shifter lever on trans three spaces forward from the rear of the car which would put the trans in Drive. Then torque the nut on the shift rod near the rear of the trans.  Moves thru all the gears fine just won't go into Park.  Any advice would be helpful .... thanks again

Try putting them in Park and then tighten the shift rod nut, and then see how the rest of the gears line up.
Will do .... thanks !

Steve

Back