C6 Transmission Shifter Linkage Leaking

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren 72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
Hi,

I noticed a leak on the shifter cable. I read in a few places that you can change the o ring without dropping the pan and the valve body. They say take the nut off but there is no nut. I think it must be the o-ring because its leaking out of the inside not from the trans body. If I have to I will drop the pan and valve body and will do the seal and o-ring if I need to go that far. Any chance with this set-up I can do this? It doesn't look like the shifter comes off without getting inside. Also what is that slotted collar on the outside of the threaded rod? By any chance is that for a neutral safety switch? Mine is in the shifter.

Thanks,
Darren

Attachments

• 20230924_145958.jpg
    20230924_145958.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
The C6 control linkage seal is an actual seal, not an O ring. The pan has to be dropped and a nut removed on the inside of the case. I modified an open end wrench to be able to remove it without dropping the valve body on a pickup I had many years ago.

Here is what you'll be looking at, the seal is #7B498 and the nut that has to be removed is 33945-S. The kick down lever and NSS have to be removed from the outside.
c6_02.jpg

The slotted collar is to drive the neutral safety switch. The C6 cars seem to have a mix of transmission and shifter mounted NSS, even though the "official" location is on the trans.

Since you are missing the kickdown lever, you *might* get lucky and only have a leak at the o-ring that seals the kickdown shaft to the shifter bellcrank (7-7265 in the drawing above). You can probably get one at any transmission shop, or order it online.

The C6 control linkage seal is an actual seal, not an O ring. The pan has to be dropped and a nut removed on the inside of the case. I modified an open end wrench to be able to remove it without dropping the valve body on a pickup I had many years ago.

Here is what you'll be looking at, the seal is #7B498 and the nut that has to be removed is 33945-S. The kick down lever and NSS have to be removed from the outside.
View attachment 81771

Thanks for the response. The drawing helps. Much appreciated!

The slotted collar is to drive the neutral safety switch. The C6 cars seem to have a mix of transmission and shifter mounted NSS, even though the "official" location is on the trans.

Since you are missing the kickdown lever, you *might* get lucky and only have a leak at the o-ring that seals the kickdown shaft to the shifter bellcrank (7-7265 in the drawing above). You can probably get one at any transmission shop, or order it online.

Thanks for chiming in. It's definitely leaking from the KD shaft. I inspected it with a light and pick. There isn't any o-ring. I will order one up and hopefully it fixes the leak. No leaks from the seal in the trans body.

Concerning the slotted collar, I thought it may be for the neutral safety switch. I saw two threaded holes not being used. After some research and the attached drawing from Don, it's obvious the switch screws into these holes and mounts on the KD shaft. It all makes sense now.

The previous owner basically swapped everything out to clone a Mach 1. The switch is mounted on the shifter inside the car. Looking at the original tag the car was a 2V with an FMX. I believe the FMX had it mounted on the console shifter. Not quite sure but if so it makes sense.

Would it make sense to make it right mounting on the trans? I'm buying a complete wiring harness in the future. Thanks for the help once again!

Darren

As per you first pic . If that is how it is there is parts missing. There should be the kickdown lever bolted there with a 5/16 UNF nut and of course a seal fitted in there .

Back