cam spacer

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have the thrust plate, the one that bolts on with 2 bolts and holds the cam in the block?

the fore and aft play on the cam will be taken up when you install the timing gear. Without the timing gear the cam will move back and forth a lot.

Have not seen a spacer behind the thrust plate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pic's of my confusion:huh: Two different manuals and not sure which I have, becuse did not see it taken apart. Which is correct for 351C-4V With or without spacer?

Alan L

002.JPG

001.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't see anything like that yesterday when I pulled the cam out, and I don't think that the 2V (mine) should make any difference compared with the 4V (yours, right?) with regard to the cam spacer. I'll take another look tomorrow, but the spacer looks kind of weird to me right now.

Doc

I just checked 2 disassembled motors

No spacers

Don

Thanks everyone...wasn't sure because I pissed off the engine builder at the machine shop because HE want to max out on HP and I only wanted a medium up grade from stock. The engine WAS set up to race and I want a cruiser so he bumped his estimate and I took it home. Well thats old news.

Has a small gap at end of cam so there is room. Will lock the cam in and move on.

Alan L

Good for you for sticking to your guns, Alan.

There was no spacer when I removed the cam the day before yesterday. I have the manual in your first pic - Haynes, right? Almost all of it has been correct, but there are some differences between it and my '73 351c 2V engine. Please keep posting your questions, because it sure helps me with my rebuild. Good luck, and keep up the good work.

Doc

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I went to my local spped shop for breaking oil and asked the same question.. I have about 1/8 " movement in the cam frt-back. he said when the gear goes on and bolted up it will pull the cam forward and reduce the gap. That sounds correct.

Alan L

have a original set of 72 mustang service manuals,i will pull them out and see what it says,but both motors i have apart both take a thrust plate at front of cam

Back