Can you tell from Marti Report if car came with Mach 1 Stripe?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So to answer your original question. Yes you would have had Mach 1 stripes. There is nothing on the Marti telling them to delete them.

I guess the interior has been pulled long ago so the build sheet is probably lost. There is also the buck tag that should be on the radiator support near the drivers side head light bucket. It tells anything that had to go on the body before paint.

I didn't realize that the hockey stripes were a standard feature for the '71-'72 Mach 1s - I was under the impression that all '71-'72s were 'no stripe' cars with the Mach 1s receiving the rocker trim molding.

So, I wouldn't think there would have been any indication of 'stripe deletion' on the Marti or build sheet, for that matter.

Eric, the Body side tape stripe (what we refer to as the Hockey Stick Stripe) was standard ONLY on the Boss 351. It was an option on the 71-72 Mach 1. My Mach 1's both have the lower body side accent paint with the thin chrome moldings like your car since they  were not ordered with optional Boss style stripe. The 73 Mach 1 was the only year to have a tape stripe standard.

I'm on the fence like you about the stripe. I have a NOS stripe I've threatened to put on one of my "Money Pitt's for a while now. Some days all you see are stripes and Magnums on every 71-73 you see as if that's the only way Ford built them. On those days my "Plain" cars don't look so bad. Have also seen a lot of incorrect stripe jobs that looked as though they were installed during a wind storm!   :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that was my understanding as well.

And totally agree with you on the 'no stripe car' sentiment.  That's probably the biggest reason I caved and bought those molding pieces from Kevin when he basically gave them away.  I like stripes and Magnums just fine - they're cool.  But there were so many more other cars out there without stripes or Magnums.  In fact, I'd even wager that the number of cars out there right now with all of the 'cool' external options (stripes, Magnums, TuTone, chin & trunk spoilers, etc.) outnumber the masses of 'no stripe' Mach 1s when they first rolled out of the factory. 

I think we're pretty close to starting a movement or something.  "Bring back the 'no stripe' option!"  Where'd I put my picket signs, anyway?  rofl

Well... Here I was worried that my first thread on these forums was going to be a dumb@ss newbie question, but it has been a really interesting thread!

Not at all - there's lots to talk about, and loads of controversial and undiscovered information on our cars yet to be discussed.  There are no "stupid questions," as it were, when it comes to getting the right information to help with your projects [collective].

The best part is that this is probably one of the best groups of cool car guys around.  Everybody's here because they want to be, we all get along (except for super-rare occasions), and there's a more healthy spirit of camaraderie due to being one of the 'black sheep groups' in the Mustang world.  All-in-all, I still believe we have the best Mustang site ever. ::thumb::

sciabola13, no question you might have is a dumba$$ one. We are dealing with 40+ year old cars that are "Screwed" together with thousands of parts. With half smoked joints showing up in the ash trays on the assembly line cars, variances can be counted on! The line worker could just as well been installing a part on a F150 or a station wagon. All they knew was that there was an endless line of vehicles that were expected to be out the door that day. No matter if a CJ Mustang, Hemi Cuda', or a Z28. These were not considered collector cars then.

We try to wade through plant variances, previous owner mods, etc  and help each other with figuring these "Things" out. So don't hesitate if you need to know something or a have a question. The forum members here are very knowledgeable and more than willing to help you.

Hey guys!  My Mustang came today!  I am very excited.  My wife's words were "It is in worse shape than I thought it would be..."  I almost died laughing.  I guess she looks a big rough with the bumpers and extensions off, sitting in epoxy primer, and the interior totally disassembled.  The drivetrain looks all original, lots of ford part numbers under the hood, lots of original tags on components, carb, etc. About two inches of dust on everything makes me feel like Indiana Jones. The bones on this one are in great shape, only decent rust area is pass side floor pan, and pass side fender apron near the hood hinge. Core supports, frame rails, torque boxes, rockers, all look fantastic... So far.  :)  

This is my first time starting an unfinished project car, spent around an hour just making a log of all the parts that were stuffed inside the thing.  Started making notes on the drivetrain casting marks, date codes, etc.  She started up and drove around 20 yards from the truck to near my garage...And she sounded super sinister, a very good sign.

So my first question to you fine fellas is... Which area of this forum would be the best place to start a thread titled: "I bought a half disassembled Car.  Please identify this part, and next time you visit Durham NC, I will buy you a beer".  

Really just a few things that are nagging at me, the front and rear valences and bumpers.  I definitely think there are some components missing, and the dude I bought this from is a Nascar Crew chief and is part owner in a Dodge Charger restoration Production Shop.  He forgot the urethane from bumper, but I messaged him and he found it in his shop.  Super fantastic guy, but he has a ton of car stuff.  Nothing gets thrown out at his place, but tracking stuff down might be annoying.  REALLY want to avoid repop sheet metal for basic stuff.

Oh, and further inspection showed that there was no rocker panel molding at all on the car. The car was originally painted white from factory but got got repainted Red in the late 1980's.  The repaint job had the blacked out rockers/hockey stripes/hood according to to the PO.  

Thanks!

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
If your wife ever complains about it being 'rougher than it looked in the pictures,' show her an early pic of mine (any of them should do).  lollerz

Congratulations!!

As to where to put your new thread, probably in "Maintenance and Repair."  All of the threads deal with restoration or care & feeding of these beasts, so just about anywhere is good.  Put up a new thread for each part if you like - there might be some discussion that draws the threads out, so having a single thread might get quite lengthy after awhile.

There is also the option of a 'My Garage' thread, as well as an 'Individual Build Projects and blogs' area where you could start a thread to capture it all from Day One, if you like.

The "What did you do to your car today" thread is popular to share recent projects as well.

Lots of places to share information and pictures... don't forget pictures.  Otherwise, these guys will remind you... usually with:

:worthlesswithoutpics:

Good luck, have fun, and share the ride with your new Mustang brothers! :cool:

Latest posts

Back