Car flipper cautionary tale.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there are plenty of horror stories out there. I got lucky when I bought my car, I got to see videos of her running, total exterior and interior and video of underneath. Fortunately the videos were clear enough I could make an informed decision. Without getting ripped off.

Thanks for sending this Vid our way Hemi.

Yes , sadly the classic car game is littered with stories like that one. (Bondo Bongo!) It's strictly a buyer beware situation for the purchasers, that's for sure!

It's very important to try and find an independent, and reputable inspection company to carry out a comprehensive report on any vehicle you intend to purchase. It's money well spent for all the right reasons. Even if you are a super savvy car guy, there will be things you will miss out on noticing about the car you intend on buying.

Just for the record, all the American cars i have looked at purchasing from America and Australia over the last 12 years, (around about ten or so cars) i have gone to the trouble and expense of employing American and Australian independent car inspection companies to carry out comprehensive inspections of every vehicle i was serious on buying. Only three cars made it through the gate keeper.

I have tried a few different companies for this task. Some were ok,and others were not good companies to deal with,as their inspections were not accurate or detailed enough to be relied on sadly. Finding a really good company can be quite tricky. Beware of any inspection company affiliated with the seller in any way. You will not be getting an honest, unbiased report.

All of the cars i had inspected,bar three, i turned down, because they were not up to scratch as they were advertised to be. The list took in private and used car sellers as well. I have spent a couple of thousand dollars on car inspections over the years, but the end results have certainly paid off for me big time. Since 2011, i have sold on two American cars to Australian buyers. My approach with any purchaser, is to be as honest and transparent as possible to them with the sale. I always say that you can come and have a coffee and a chat any time in the future with me if you want for an open discussion regards anything. My door is always open in that regard.

I also promote to them, that they are welcome to get an indepenant inspection carried out on the car that i am selling on. It's interesting to note that in the two cars i have sold on, both purchasers turned down the opprotunity of getting both cars independently inspected. That was their risk that they were willing to take. As it turned out of course, they didn't get diddled by me, and everything turned out well for them and for me. I still think that they should have gotten inspections anyway.

Always remember the wise old saying ........................................ All that glitters ain't Gold!

Greg.:cautious:

Last edited:
Did a little searching and it only took me about 30 seconds on Google to find the auction. It sold for $22,500. Came out of Maine, and was originally from Canada. Some of the issues are shown in the photos and should have set off alarm bells for anyone that even remotely knew what they were looking at. While I genuinely feel bad for the buyer, there's one thing I picked up over the years in all of my hobbies:

"expect what you inspect"

https://www.proxibid.com/1970-Mercury-Cougar-XR7/lotInformation/75865378

I love how the auction description says there were"limited frame repairs". The frame was repaired with bondo.

I've never understood how anyone can buy a car without seeing it in person.

I love how the auction description says there were"limited frame repairs". The frame was repaired with bondo.

I've never understood how anyone can buy a car without seeing it in person.
Hi Kevin,

I would agree with you on that point entirely, however, if you are living outside of America, and want to inspect the car you want to buy, then realistically, paying for a professional, reputable car inspection company would be the best way to go. Airline tickets to America and back again to Australia are very expensive, based on the fact that you may not end up buying the car, once you inspect it in person anyway.

That made sense to me, and i ended up paying inspection companies to look over the cars i wanted to buy in the US. It worked out to my advantage.

Greg :)

Last edited:
Being an auto painter for 43 years has shown me the dark side to the trade with a battle between good and evil. I kept away from the dark side, but was a witness to the crap that went on in my trade. The dark side of spray painting has a saying - What the eye doesn't see, the heart won't grieve over!

The most popular go to tricks of the dark side trade are Bondo, chicken wire, fly screen, wood chips,fiberglass, cardboard, silicone, no more gaps, liquid nails, pop rivets, aluminium sheet, seam sealers, expansion foams, spray and wiping putty, polyester spray bog,and spray on/ brush on texture coatings known as Black Jack in my trade. They all can easily and cheaply hide a multitude of sins.:devilish:

Handy hint - Grab a fridge magnet and systematically go around and all over each car panel and the chassis. If the magnet does not freely stick to the panel and falls off, or easily pulls away without any effort, you've got a potential problem.

Oh, the stories i could tell!

Greg:cry:

Last edited:
My son got burned on a big block GTX, I know MOPAR, but I would never buy anything I didn't inspect. There are righteous people out there , but there also scammers.

Did a little searching and it only took me about 30 seconds on Google to find the auction. It sold for $22,500. Came out of Maine, and was originally from Canada. Some of the issues are shown in the photos and should have set off alarm bells for anyone that even remotely knew what they were looking at. While I genuinely feel bad for the buyer, there's one thing I picked up over the years in all of my hobbies:

"expect what you inspect"

https://www.proxibid.com/1970-Mercury-Cougar-XR7/lotInformation/75865378
Can these auction house spin a story or what. Talk about "creative writing".

This definitely confirms that you absolutely need to inspect any potential classic Mustang purchase from the bottom up!
Indeed. I flew to LA via Detroit, rented a car and drove out to where the car I was interested in was located. In my case, the car turned out to be everything the seller described in the ad and over the phone. I could have just had him ship it.
As for the underfloor on this car, I have left it in original condition, no detailing at all. It is dirty, but absolutely solid and I want it to be seen that way with no hint of being covered up with anything.

Can these auction house spin a story or what. Talk about "creative writing".
Interesting story, I recently started looking for a car that is super nice original or well restored, but not a show queen as I want to drive it. Visited several sites and looked at several examples. One in particular I was super interested in, 1972 Lemans GT (I know it is a Pontiac and not a Mustang). It was being listed by a big classic car company that has showrooms across the US. So they had over 100 photos of the car online. As I am carefully going through the photos, I see two that show a camera angle of the front underside of the engine bay. At the edge of the photo you can see the radiator core support and the large bolt that is supposed to have a rubber grommet holding core support to the frame. I notice that the bolt is an aftermarket Home Depot type bolt with a stack of washer sizes over the hole. I see what appears to be weld around the washers and no rubber isolation grommet visible. I zoom in on the core support and I also see that there is two drops of green fluid clinging to one of the weep holes on the underside of the radiator core support.
I send a series of questions about this as the description was the car was "mechanically sound", "no issue", "drive anywhere", and fully restored. The other concern was the undercoating (rubberized spray) on every underside surface and component. I got a brief response that there is no leaks and the radiator is new. This may be true, but why should I travel over a 1000 miles when the pictures show me a huge red flag? No response about the improper repair of the radiator mounting grommets? Why all the undercoating on everything?
The advice I have, if you have any doubts, pass. Only if you can physically inspect or independently have inspected should you pursue. With that said, I am finding better examples for about the same cost or slightly lower and no undercoating hiding stuff.

Interesting story, I recently started looking for a car that is super nice original or well restored, but not a show queen as I want to drive it. Visited several sites and looked at several examples. One in particular I was super interested in, 1972 Lemans GT (I know it is a Pontiac and not a Mustang). It was being listed by a big classic car company that has showrooms across the US. So they had over 100 photos of the car online. As I am carefully going through the photos, I see two that show a camera angle of the front underside of the engine bay. At the edge of the photo you can see the radiator core support and the large bolt that is supposed to have a rubber grommet holding core support to the frame. I notice that the bolt is an aftermarket Home Depot type bolt with a stack of washer sizes over the hole. I see what appears to be weld around the washers and no rubber isolation grommet visible. I zoom in on the core support and I also see that there is two drops of green fluid clinging to one of the weep holes on the underside of the radiator core support.
I send a series of questions about this as the description was the car was "mechanically sound", "no issue", "drive anywhere", and fully restored. The other concern was the undercoating (rubberized spray) on every underside surface and component. I got a brief response that there is no leaks and the radiator is new. This may be true, but why should I travel over a 1000 miles when the pictures show me a huge red flag? No response about the improper repair of the radiator mounting grommets? Why all the undercoating on everything?
The advice I have, if you have any doubts, pass. Only if you can physically inspect or independently have inspected should you pursue. With that said, I am finding better examples for about the same cost or slightly lower and no undercoating hiding stuff.
I'd say a good call on your part. Many would not have even noticed that till it was too late. As for the underfloor, a load of undercoating would be a huge red flag to me, even if it was supposed to be there. Leave it alone so someone else can decide.

Back