car show pics from oz

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Flatback

where are you

Im in Brisbane

thanks John
Hi John, I live down in Bendigo (central Vic)

Brett
Thanks mate I know Bendigo we lived at Bealiba about 30 years backI have seen a few Mustangs on Ebay from radio girl in Bendigo

John

Hi Flatback

where are you

Im in Brisbane

thanks John
Hi John, I live down in Bendigo (central Vic)

Brett
Thanks mate I know Bendigo we lived at Bealiba about 30 years backI have seen a few Mustangs on Ebay from radio girl in Bendigo

John

Did a bit of gold prospecting with my metal detector about twenty years ago around Bealiba, though I'm sorry to say the yellow metal always did elude me. If horseshoe nails and spent .22 cartridges were currency I would be a man of great wealth today.

I've seen the cars radiogirl has been putting up on ebay of late and have been surprised at the fair buy it now prices the seller has listed when compared to a lot of the other dreamers on there. A yellow 72 Mach 1 went for $7800 a couple of months back which I thought was alright, though it must of had it's problems because the new buyer put it back up on ebay about two weeks later and sold it for about $1000 less.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice grille on that falcon. Wonder has anyone performed the conversion on a Mach.

Nice grille on that falcon. Wonder has anyone performed the conversion on a Mach.
i had a look at a grill on the weekend, i was surprised to find out the xb falcon is wider then my 72 mustang, i have a mate who is doing up a xa coupe and has not made up his mind what front to use xa,xb,xc so ill take a pic of the grill against my mustang and give you a look.

i also own a falcon as my everyday driving car its a 2004 xr6 turbo with 1974 XB falcon bonnet scoops crafted into the original bonnet, the color is a factory ford color called citric acid.

i really love this car but always find my self back in my Grande every chance i get lol my xr6 turbo.JPGXB bonnet on BA falcon.JPG

i had a look at a grill on the weekend, i was surprised to find out the xb falcon is wider then my 72 mustang, i have a mate who is doing up a xa coupe and has not made up his mind what front to use xa,xb,xc so ill take a pic of the grill against my mustang and give you a look.
The Falcon coupe is certainly wider with the rear quarters bulging out to add almost 3 inches of extra width over the Falcon sedan version, however other dimensions between a Falcon sedan and a 71-73 Mustang are very similar. Having said that, although the Falcon sedan is not technically much wider than the Mustang, I think it appears that it is because the Falcon has very flat sides in comparison without the sculptured side radius and flared wheel arches of the Stang - also the tapered front of the Mustang adds to the slimming effect. The bottom line is that the Falcon is certainly a bulkier looking car than it's US Mustang cousin.

So the different contoured sides between the two cars add 4 inches of extra width to the Falcon interior - 60 inches for the Falcon (from information off the internet) to 56 inches on the Mustang (measured myself), I know there's not much height to look out of a Mustang windscreen, but I remember when I used to own my Falcon coupe it was literally like looking out of a letterbox!!

Length

Falcon = 190.4"

Mustang = 189.5"

Width

Falcon coupe = 77.5"

Falcon sedan = 74.8"

Mustang = 74.1"

Like they say, if you want to look thin then hang around with people fatter than yourself - so if you want your 71-73 Mustang to look thin then try and find an Aussie Falcon Coupe to park it next to!

BTW, nice XR6 Fangstang!

i also own a falcon as my everyday driving car its a 2004 xr6 turbo with 1974 XB falcon bonnet scoops crafted into the original bonnet, the color is a factory ford color called citric acid.

i really love this car but always find my self back in my Grande every chance i get lol

In the late 90s we docked in fremantle for a port visit. I was walking down the strip headed to feed myself and i heard this deep rumble sound. Seemed unusual at the time but as i turned about it was a modern red falcon. I say modern because i was only accustom to the older ones. That was my first time seeing one and before then i didn't know they existed besides the older ones like we have here in the states. Anyway great cars and forward me any info you have on the falcon grille. If it is possible i would like to try the conversion.

the falcon gt..as a kid we use too think that car was a mix of a mach 1 and a torino or maveric on mad max movie..turned out too be the falcon gt..lol..ford loves too do that..try out diffrent and odd cars on other people around the world..my old girlfreind from uk..started talking about her cars she drove...she said..i loved my ford mondao..im like ford mondao? well..too find out..its pretty much a fancy version of the ford contour..lol..it looked better..little more fancy i think..lol

OK, with a bit of Corel PhotoPaint trickery I bring you a Mustang sporting an XA and XB Falcon grille (XA top, XB bottom). To tell the truth I was pretty sceptical how it would look considering the Mustang front is not as wide as the Falcon and thought the extra headlights would look crowded in there - but it actually looks pretty smart! (although the XA makes grille makes it look a bit too much like a Camaro for my liking). Both grills would need sections cut out and the grille rejoined to make it fit but I'm sure it could be done. The XB grille is plastic and could be plastic welded if someone knew what they were doing, but from memory from when my Dad had an XA Falcon I think the grill was metal and would require a little bit of creative welding/ brazing to do the job. Fangstang might have a better memory about the XA grille being metal or plastic though.

In fact, I wouldn't mind putting an XB grille in my own car after seeing how nice it looks, but doing that here in Australia would see me getting crucified by other Aussie Mustang owners!!

xagrille.jpg

xbgrille1.jpg

Wow, both look extremely cool.

I'd think the bottom one would look better without the inner lights, as it's quite crowded as you said yourself.

Still it looks cool!

Wow, both look extremely cool.

I'd think the bottom one would look better without the inner lights, as it's quite crowded as you said yourself.

Still it looks cool!
Actually, the standard Falcon grille doesn't have those centre lights. Here another rendering - I do like the centre lights version my self though, which is probably because the Falcon coupe I used to own had them.

xbgrille2.jpg

i really love this car but always find my self back in my Grande every chance i get lol
very cool looking scooot! Did it originally come with the ram air hood? If so, what does the engine bay look like?

OK, with a bit of Corel PhotoPaint trickery I bring you a Mustang sporting an XA and XB Falcon grille (XA top, XB bottom). To tell the truth I was pretty sceptical how it would look considering the Mustang front is not as wide as the Falcon and thought the extra headlights would look crowded in there - but it actually looks pretty smart! (although the XA makes grille makes it look a bit too much like a Camaro for my liking). Both grills would need sections cut out and the grille rejoined to make it fit but I'm sure it could be done. The XB grille is plastic and could be plastic welded if someone knew what they were doing, but from memory from when my Dad had an XA Falcon I think the grill was metal and would require a little bit of creative welding/ brazing to do the job. Fangstang might have a better memory about the XA grille being metal or plastic though.

In fact, I wouldn't mind putting an XB grille in my own car after seeing how nice it looks, but doing that here in Australia would see me getting crucified by other Aussie Mustang owners!!

xagrille.jpg

xbgrille1.jpg
looks good its a shame im keeping my grande stock would shore stand out with the XB grill, the XA grill is also plastic but has a metal dress trim around the edge would also be easy to modify, my mate is dropping one of each around tomorrow even a XC grill with the GXL square lights so ill see how they measure up and let you all know.

looks good its a shame im keeping my grande stock would shore stand out with the XB grill, the XA grill is also plastic but has a metal dress trim around the edge would also be easy to modify, my mate is dropping one of each around tomorrow even a XC grill with the GXL square lights so ill see how they measure up and let you all know.
Would be interested in the XB grille height compared to the Mustangs, and also how close to the same angle the two of them are. It would be great to set up an XB grille that could be swapped back and forth in 15 minutes without having to do any mods (or very minimal mods) to the car itself.

A couple more grille experiments which I posted on the Australian forum today - the first a 1972 Holden HQ Monaro (did this one as a bit of a joke), and the second one using the grille from a 1971 Holden HG Monaro (which I reckon doesn't look half bad!):

hqmustang.jpg

monarostang.jpg

xagrille.jpg

xbgrille1.jpg
Flatback,

Could you take the XA grill and move the center lights together in the middle, aka. Shelby, and see what that looks like? I have always liked that Shelby look.

Latest posts

Back