carb question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leomust68

Reaction score
My Car
73 mach 1 in the process of restoring
I have a 73 mach1 with a 351 cj automatic which has a carb that needs to be rebuilt . I looked at the carb and it has no tag I believe its a 4300 . The only numbers I found on thehe base of the carb are 4PE AA . Can anyone shed some light on this carb . Thanks

awww no tag..thats sucks!....Is it a spread bore or square bore carb? It should be a spread bore 4300-d like mine...which is a 716cfm carb..and very valueble too restorers...A bit rare...People tended to throw them away for aftermarket carbs...Which they are a very good carb anyways...Same design they put on the boss.

Post some pictures of it and the bottom of the carb...the bore...and we will atleast be able to tell you if its a 4300...or 4300d.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe its the spread bore . Any other ways to tell just looking at the base or carb . Thanks

This is the carb on the intake manifold

I believe its the spread bore . Any other ways to tell just looking at the base or carb . Thanks

IMAG2743.jpg

1356814129815.jpg

Ohh ya...Its the 4300d...And usualy in our years the manifold come off with the carb...Cause you run into a big issue when using original spreadbore manifold with regular modern "what they call" spread bores will not fit right.

Even with adaptor plates they just cutt too much off with no even flow..4300d is wider than any other stock spreadbore i ran into......I had to replace all mine for a aftermarket set up...Cause i got the carb first "thinking my carb was worn out and tring to save a buck"...And realised there was a issue...I went to the speed shop in town and wasted a ton of money tring to get a edelbrock carb to fit up too my original manifold...Plates and everything...Ford cut a EGR groove below that EGR plate in the manifold...That you would have to fill with puddy if you tried to use aftermarket....I recomend anyone who tries to use original manifold on a cobrajet spread bore too stay with the original carb..Unless you want to replace it all....Dont waste time tring to mate them up..lol

btw...Too bad its missing the tag...Makes them worth a lot more..But still...Rebuilt..and cleaned up pretty with no issues...They can bring some good money..i think pony carbs charged 800 and above for there rebuilt 4300d's with missing tags.....Hard too find them all rebuilt...in the shape yours is in...I would say 50 too 100 bucks on ebay...With tags and all...some 4300d's can bring up too 3,000 i hear and above..Count who's car they match..Boss..Ho..Cobrajet rare 1 of 1...He will need a matching one to make it perfict...lol

I have a 73 mach1 with a 351 cj automatic which has a carb that needs to be rebuilt . I looked at the carb and it has no tag I believe its a 4300 . The only numbers I found on thehe base of the carb are 4PE AA . Can anyone shed some light on this carb . Thanks
I have a vague source document that indicates that D4PE-AA is for 71-72. The PN shown is D4OZ-9510-F. The decode on the "P" in ford casting numbers is often debated. I wish I could be of more help. Chuck

Thanks chuck . Where did you locate that info ? I tried searching on google and couldnt get any real answer .

Thanks chuck . Where did you locate that info ? I tried searching on google and couldnt get any real answer .
It appears in a book I have but, it is not very specific. It is the only place I could find it as well. Internet search netted zero. Chuck

Latest posts

Back