Carburetor fuel line diameter

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 w/408C stroker
Does anyone know the diameter of the fuel line from the pump to the carburetor? (I have a 351-4V). Mine is 5/16" but I am second guessing since the line from the tank to the pump is 3/8". I have no idea if mine is original or replaced.

Yes, 5/16 is the original diameter, but if you are upping your HP, a 3/8" has been recommended. Also, as I now have a Holley on my 4V, I am replacing the pump to carb line with 3/8" to get rid of the rubber line I have to use across the front of the carb to join the 5/16" line to the carb. It looks messy to say the least and I can make it a direct connection with the appropriate fittings.

Yes, 5/16 is the original diameter, but if you are upping your HP, a 3/8" has been recommended. Also, as I now have a Holley on my 4V, I am replacing the pump to carb line with 3/8" to get rid of the rubber line I have to use across the front of the carb to join the 5/16" line to the carb. It looks messy to say the least and I can make it a direct connection with the appropriate fittings.
Do you know if they sell a 3/8 repro? Or I might as well make it myself. I wonder if I should keep steel tubing or change to a braided hose.

1971 M-code Mach 1

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know if they sell a 3/8 repro? Or I might as well make it myself. I wonder if I should keep steel tubing or change to a braided hose.

1971 M-code Mach 1
Don't think so and if they do, it will likely be the same as original for an Autolite carb. I will need to make it up as its' going to be longer, but I'm hoping to find a length of ready made fuel line tube so I don't have to piss around with flare tools although that may just happen anyways.

You can still make 500ish horsepower using the stock 5/16" fuel line. I did it on my 1985 Mustang feeding a 408w. Made 432hp at the rear wheels.

Latest posts

Back