Carpet colour.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 351c 2v fmx convertible
Does anyone know how to find out the original carpet colour for a 1973?

The only information I have is that they were "color keyed".

Car colour is Blue Glow (3K) and interior is white (CW).

My '73 with Blue Glow and blue comfortweave interior has a matching blue carpet. I'm guessing even with the white interior it probably had blue carpet. In reproduction they call it 606 Medium blue. Someone else may know what they called it originally or what is correct for yours.

I have two 1973 verts with CW Comfort weave White interiors. The seats, door panels, rear side panels are white. The console, dash, dash pad, carpet, seat belts, steering wheel and steering column are black. The white door panels have black carpet on the bottom. Ford used the same interior black paint from 1965 - 1973 I get from NPD.
The top can be white or black and all had glass rear window. I am not sure on the top well liner. I do not know if white or black I have both. The top boot that came with the car with white top was also white. The boot and top well might be keyed to the top color cannot say for sure.
I took these pictures for a member of a 48,000 mile original I have. They were complaining about the lower seat not aligning with the seat back. These are original Ford seats and the are way off. The stiching in the seats are like a blind person did them. Repo is much better but you cannot get the true Comfort Weave anymore. You can see the black carpet and seat belts and the white boot laying in the seat. This car has the deluxe belts also.

20201013_123406.jpg

20201013_123426.jpg

20201013_123516.jpg

20201013_123532.jpg

20201208_145029.jpg

Hello Mike, 

As Hemikiller posted, with a white interior, black was the default color unless a special edition such as the '72 Sprint cars. If your vehicle is equipped with a deluxe interior, then there should be a color-coordinated carpet on the lower portion of the molded door panel you can use to help ID the original color. The Mach 1/Deluxe interior carpet also included embossed carpet runners that were color-coordinated. My Money Pit#1 (Pewter car) has a black interior and carpet with grey runners. Money Pit#2 has a red/Vermilion interior with black carpet and red runners. If you are considering a blue carpet, Ford didn't get too carried away with the naming on this interior color. My interior info states either blue or medium blue. Ford changed the blue carpet part number each year, but the part numbers were marked "MW" (mix with) which meant the dealer could use any of the three-part numbers, and they would match.  

Since Auto Custom Carpet (ACC) manufactures most of the repo carpet for the industry, you can check their site for more detailed information. They offer custom colors, and you can request samples to compare against your carpet. https://www.accmats.com/commerce/

Since many different Mustang parts vendors sell this carpet, you can check your favorite site, make some price comparisons, and check for any sales any of them may have

I would defer to the knowledge of the others on this but I'm curious Mike King, what color is your painted dash? the steering wheel color?  Is it blue or black?

The dash is black but this car is converted to right hand drive,

I have a non factory steering wheel fitted.

I have seen a photograph of this colour carpet on a blue car with white seats but there was no mention of what colour it was.

I am leaning towards black. Thanks for all the input.

Door carpet.jpg

There's a bunch of great interior reference pics on the 429 Megasite. 

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/interiors.htm

I would defer to the knowledge of the others on this but I'm curious Mike King, what color is your painted dash? the steering wheel color?  Is it blue or black?
Those items were all black for standard interiors, or color keyed for the "deluxe" level interiors. See the link above for examples. 

Back