How to hold down TMI center console? Also, what shift boot for the mini console?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Fastback - 351C-4V, Fitech EFI, T56 Magnum 6 Speed
I have one of those TMI center console / arm rests. Since reworking the interior and installing new cut pile carpet, I just the console sitting in there. It of course move around all over the place when getting in and out of the car so it always looks like I just tossed it in there, because I basically just tossed them in there. I think normally these use velcro and hook to the factory carpet, but that wouldn't work with cut pile.

So my probably dumb question is, how do I keep these things from moving around? I'd ideally like to not glue a bunch of stuff to the carpet and would like to avoid too many holes in through the carpet if I can avoid it as I might end up changing things around at some point. Do I need to use some industrial velcro that can somehow attach to the cut pile? Assuming anything strong enough to attach is going to be impossible to get off the carpet cleanly down the road.

Next, what's the right shift boot used with the mini console with a stick? All the things I find online look to be generic boots that don't look right. Also does the boot attach to the console or the floor?

Thanks!

The 71-73 shifter boot is unique with the front rounded and the back squared off. I haven't found it reproduced anywhere. It bolts to the floor with four bolts. There is a flat plastic trim piece that fits over the boot that fills the gap between the boot and the console. Check NPD for the trim piece and you can use the 1970 Mustang shifter boot as it uses the same bolt pattern.

Thanks Chuck.

Would it be something like this? https://www.npdlink.com/product/boot-transmission-gear-shift-lever/105728?

If so, I think (can't find the part #) that I have that installed to keep the bottom sealed, but it's very low profile and sits down below mini console. I'm sort of hoping to get something with a leather upper, maybe like this? https://www.npdlink.com/product/boot-transmission-gear-shift-lever/208501?top_parent=200001&year=1970.
Yep, that would work if you have the flat Hurst-style shifter handle. They also have one for the round shifter handle. Check out this thread for more: https://7173mustangs.com/threads/shifter-boot.43014/#post-431515

If you have a toploader, I think you can still get the lower shifter boot that cover the shifter below the tunnel.

When I did my mini console with the 71 4 speed rectangular shifter, I added a 3/8" piece of plastic I had on hand. I also added an extra 1/8" as well. This filled up the gap nicely, but your car has a 6 speed I think, so might be different.
I have pics.......... somewhere!! If and when I find them, I'll edit this.

Attachments

• IMG_0840.JPG
    IMG_0840.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0843.JPG
    IMG_0843.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1693.JPG
    IMG_1693.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I have one of those TMI center console / arm rests. Since reworking the interior and installing new cut pile carpet, I just the console sitting in there. It of course move around all over the place when getting in and out of the car so it always looks like I just tossed it in there, because I basically just tossed them in there. I think normally these use velcro and hook to the factory carpet, but that wouldn't work with cut pile.

So my probably dumb question is, how do I keep these things from moving around? I'd ideally like to not glue a bunch of stuff to the carpet and would like to avoid too many holes in through the carpet if I can avoid it as I might end up changing things around at some point. Do I need to use some industrial velcro that can somehow attach to the cut pile? Assuming anything strong enough to attach is going to be impossible to get off the carpet cleanly down the road.

Next, what's the right shift boot used with the mini console with a stick? All the things I find online look to be generic boots that don't look right. Also does the boot attach to the console or the floor?

Thanks!
I am glad to see this question as I am converting the FMX to a toploader in my 1971 fastback. I also have a mini console which just lays on the floor. Thx, Bill

Back