Catastrophic Hood Latch Failure

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow what some guy will do to convince there wife's they need a NASA hood.:D

All kidding aside, Holly Crap Doc! Glad to see your OK. I had the same thing happen to me when I was 16. I had a 74 Pinto with a 302 in it and the radiator sat where the hood latch was. The car only had hood pins. One day I pulled the hood pins to check the oil at the same time my mom yelled to me that I had a phone call. So not thinking I ran for the phone. Well after a half hour phone call with the girlfriend out the door I go. Well about 3 house up the road WHAM the hood was in the windshield. The car had a snorkel hood scoop and it didn't take much to fly up. The hood scoop broke the windshield. I was only doing about 30-35 when it flew up. I can't imagine doing 90.:huh:

Mike.

PM sent.

Wow Doc!!

I am so very glad that no one was apparently injured.

As you probably know, the hood is readily available from the Vendors. The problem will be with the shipping, in my opinion. I would think that Mike (Motor City Mustang) or Don (OMS) might also be a possible source for a "used" one.

Considering shipping costs, it might serve you better to find one closer where you might be able to pick it up.

I am REALLY sorry to read about the incident but again am glad to know no one was injured.

Hang in there, my Friend!

BT
+1 to that....Shipping specialy...I use to have to deliver hoods for a autoparts shipping company {shakes head} over 80% of them had to go back due to damages...I hated getting them...cause in the land of shipping..A hood is a big fragile heavy piece...And they almost always get hurt or just flat out crushed...And if you do have to get it shipped..Make sure you open it on the spot and send it right back with the delivery guy if its hurt.

That suck man...And i hope it doesnt cost you too much to get it figured out...My freinds 70 cuda did the same thing..After he tuned the carb..Dont know if the latch failed..Or if he failed too fully latch it...In his case..I think he forgot too latch it fully in a rush to try out the new carb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like E. 2nd Street to me, not much pavement width out there, good job keeping it on the pavement. I've been thinking about some kind of supplemental security lock, now you've got me thinking safety, too. And, I've been thinking about a NASA hood, too, but don't want to try your way of justifying a new hood. :)

The hardest part installing the hood pins was knowing exactly where to drill the hood. I installed the pins and used paint on the tops of them, gently closed the hood to make contact with the hood pins, opened the hood back up and used the paint spots under the hood for a reference point for drilling the hood. It worked out perfect.

Sorry to hear about the mishap and I'm glad you escaped unharmed.

The NASA hood will look great. By the way, your old hood will make someone a nice White Elephant gift!

Sorry, to see and hear that!!!

I not only would have been walking funny and smelling bad, I would be wondering what the $%^&$ did I just hit!!!

that package from Don, sounds like a great deal, shipping and packaging a hood it the tough part.

I had an extre flat hood from my car I was planing on selling, but I guess I'll keep it just in case!!

now that I've seem this, and I use my car alot during the summer months, I'm going to add a Braded wire with 2 spring catches on each end, just as a Back up!!.

The NASA hood will look great. By the way, your old hood will make someone a nice White Elephant gift!
I'll do my best to make sure my daughter "draws" your name Mike as Doc's trading partner. ;)

Da-a-a-a-a-amn, Doc! As the others have mentioned, glad you guys are OK (first and foremost).

Having said that, can't wait to see your ride with a spiffy new NASA hood and Ram Air set-up.

I'm going with Don's package -
Things are getting weird around here! :D
Just to be clear here he's talking about Don in Ohio.
Hey... whoa there guys. This is a family forums, now.

(... and not the 'Pennsyltucky' kind of 'family,' either) rofl

Things are getting weird around here! :D
Just to be clear here he's talking about Don in Ohio.
Hey... whoa there guys. This is a family forums, now.

(... and not the 'Pennsyltucky' kind of 'family,' either) rofl

Yeah, don't ask, don't tell is a good policy on here even if Don (in Ohio) does have a "great reputation". :p

Back