Celebrating the new 73VertProject

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible H Code, 351C 2V FMX
Here's the vid and I still can't get the grin off my face -

Keep in mind that the 3.50 affects speedo calibration, but it still felt the same as the crappy videoing looks... YAHOO!!!

Many of the people around here know what I've been doing, and understand when someone like me lets his hair down (OK, years ago I let my hair down, too, but I've kept it up pretty well for quite a while now :D ). Just saying that the way it sounds on the vid is that way it sounds.

Thanks to all for your support, suggestions, this whole website (Barry, you better read this when you get back). Now, time to get you STANG on, folks! It feels as good as it looks!!!

EDIT - OK, looking back at the videos, I apologize for the crappy camera work, but the rest felt good. VERY GOOD. Our cars are as awesome as my friends in the late '70s said they were. Cheers to 7173 Mustangs!

If you watch these videos, I agree that they're shameless showing off. I never, ever thought I'd see the day. Blame Jeff's rear end for that... seriously.... I couldn't picture this much power from my 'Vert...

I finally got my speedo calibration dead on after my transmission was pulled apart and the gear in the tailshaft change. I have a automatic drive gear I got by mistake. let me know which one you need and if it is right I';ll mail it to you.

Looks like I just happen to have the right one. I'll mail it to you tomorrow. Did you need the combo U-Joint I sent?

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally got my speedo calibration dead on after my transmission was pulled apart and the gear in the tailshaft change. I have a automatic drive gear I got by mistake. let me know which one you need and if it is right I';ll mail it to you.

Looks like I just happen to have the right one. I'll mail it to you tomorrow.

That would be totally awesome, Jeff! Let me know the $ and I'll have it headed your way ASAP.

Did you need the combo U-Joint I sent?

Yes, I did. Both the builder and I were thinking that the "combo" U-joint would be needed for the special application, but as it turns out, the "special application" needed a U-joint that was the SAME size on both ends. That's what you sent, and that's what I needed. Thanks, man!

Nice Doc ! It really is a great feeling when you can get in..turn the key & go ! Have fun with it !
It sure is, Scott. Thanks! After almost 2 years on the engine rebuild, now it's time to smile!

The way that speedo needle moves gives me goosebumps!!!!!
I know - remember that the speedo is geared for the 2.75:1 rear end which now has 3.50:1 rear end, but it felt awesome just the same. Been close to 30 years since I got such an adrenaline rush from stomping on a car's accelerator. Yahoo!! :)

AWESOME, Doc!!

I tell you, I felt as if it was my project!! I (and I am sure many others) appreciate how you have kept us "involved" during your journey,

By the way, I think it may be about time to "rehash" a speedometer gear versus first transmission gear versus tire size question for the Weekly Fun Question. Be forewarned!

Again, GREAT job Doc!

BT

That is TOTALLY AWESOME! Congratulations!!
Thanks, Don!

::goodjob:: now enjoy it
Thanks, Roy. I sure will!

AWESOME, Doc!!

I tell you, I felt as if it was my project!! I (and I am sure many others) appreciate how you have kept us "involved" during your journey,

By the way, I think it may be about time to "rehash" a speedometer gear versus first transmission gear versus tire size question for the Weekly Fun Question. Be forewarned!

Again, GREAT job Doc!

BT
Thanks, BT! I has been quite a journey, and I appreciate everyone's support throughout it. Guess I better start studying for the WFQ... :)

Looks thrilling! You forgot to say "closed course and professional driver"
Thanks, Mike. It was a deserted road just outside of town, so the closed course is pretty close. Not sure about the "professional driver" part, though! :p

VERY Nice, Doc! Very nice, indeed!

OK - so let me get this straight: you have a 351C that you've worked over and added a performance intake, 4-bbl performance carb, Hooker Competition headers, free-flowing exhaust, and the cam you picked out is very similar to the one I went with as well.

Could this be some sort of a sneak preview for me once I get mine running at some point down the road? In that case, thanks for sharing! (no, really, thanks for sharing no matter what)

Keep 'em coming so I can live vicariously through you until I get to turn the key on mine sometime this summer. :D

I'm sure a bomb couldn't blow the smile off your face. Nice Job Doc!
You got that right! Thanks! :)

VERY Nice, Doc! Very nice, indeed!

OK - so let me get this straight: you have a 351C that you've worked over and added a performance intake, 4-bbl performance carb, Hooker Competition headers, free-flowing exhaust, and the cam you picked out is very similar to the one I went with as well.

Could this be some sort of a sneak preview for me once I get mine running at some point down the road? In that case, thanks for sharing! (no, really, thanks for sharing no matter what)

Keep 'em coming so I can live vicariously through you until I get to turn the key on mine sometime this summer. :D
It sure sounds like our builds are very similar. I'll post as often as possible until the tires are gone... :cool:

Doc

Awesome project that is paying dividends! Smiles per mile are now smiles per foot!

YOUR ENTHUSIASM IS CONTAGIOUS!

CONGRATS!

Ray

::congratz:: Sounds great Doc.
Thanks, Mark!

Doc

Awesome project that is paying dividends! Smiles per mile are now smiles per foot!

YOUR ENTHUSIASM IS CONTAGIOUS!

CONGRATS!

Ray
Thanks, Ray! There was a time when I was so not into the whole engine rebuild that I avoided this site, and even offered up my title as moderator. I was just overwhelmed with 1,000 mini-projects that I had to do to get the car back together. But I'd stop by for a glance every now and then, and every time I had a PM or two waiting, encouraging me. And then my buddy finally said "I'm gonna put that motor back in for you as a Christmas present. And he did. That got the momentum going again, and 1,000 mini-projects later, here I am. Hope I can return the favor to someone some day. YAHOO!!

Sounds awesome Doc. Congrats ::beer::
Much appreciated, Jayson! :D Can't stop smilin'.

Latest posts

Back