Center Console Rehab

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
429CJ, 4 Speed, 3.25 Traction Lock N case, A/C, P/W, tilt, fold down seats, int. wipers, deluxe interior.
Decided to tackle this little project. The car came with a center console that was in less than desirable shape but not bad enough to toss so I decided to try a few things. First there was a section missing, so I took an extra kick panel I had and cut it to shape the outline of the forward drivers side. 

then steel wool on all the trim and masked. Sprayed with some duplicolor flexible vinyl paint I believe it was. 

second, found some textured black abs plastic on eBay (12” square 1/8” thick) and fabricated a cover and made a cup holder where the ash tray was and a usb charge dock. This was nice not only for the cup holder but to cover the holes from previously installed switches. 

overall I’m pretty happy! And maybe when the time comes I can get a new 700$ one but for now this will do! Hope it inspires someone else with a broken center console.

B7660FC0-EB09-4F9F-BEB5-D91CEBFC257F.jpeg

8E081212-56FD-408B-967F-6CE919B71196.jpeg

7AFFA31C-6637-4982-844C-EB6BF45D3087.jpeg

DB3A772B-B993-4763-A8BB-84452637EF39.jpeg

9CC46AF3-2E03-40BF-8150-3D24B49CB073.jpeg

53F61EF5-63F5-44DA-950D-9A299B2CF715.jpeg

99F7414D-D643-426E-81AC-5F5273E6EE14.jpeg

I have a spare long console that I picked up cheap. It was covered with about 5 coats of Tremclad or similar paint. I was able to clean it up to be a driver quality piece, but as my car didn't have the long console and as a previous Mustang (72 Q code) I owned, with the 4 speed, I kept banging my elbow into it, I've been leery of putting it in. BUT, if I may steal your idea, I might be tempted. When I go to car shows, (do you remember those!!) I often have a cup of coffee propped against the passenger seat, held by the seat belt. I've been lucky so far and not spilled one, but it's just a matter of time.

The console I have is a bit rough around the ash tray area, so as I already have a sheet of ABS textured plastic, I can weld in the insert rather than screw it. I just need to find a suitable cup holder.

Thanks for a great idea. 

I have a spare long console that I picked up cheap. It was covered with about 5 coats of Tremclad or similar paint. I was able to clean it up to be a driver quality piece, but as my car didn't have the long console and as a previous Mustang (72 Q code) I owned, with the 4 speed, I kept banging my elbow into it, I've been leery of putting it in. BUT, if I may steal your idea, I might be tempted. When I go to car shows, (do you remember those!!) I often have a cup of coffee propped against the passenger seat, held by the seat belt. I've been lucky so far and not spilled one, but it's just a matter of time.

The console I have is a bit rough around the ash tray area, so as I already have a sheet of ABS textured plastic, I can weld in the insert rather than screw it. I just need to find a suitable cup holder.

Thanks for a great idea. 
Don't discount using a cupholder sold for boats, there are a whole lot of them from ABS plastic to stainless ones that would work. 

Mike

Don't discount using a cupholder sold for boats, there are a whole lot of them from ABS plastic to stainless ones that would work. 

Mike
That’s exactly what I used haha! 
mine is tightly pressed in to place but not glued, that allows me to remove it for access below. I had to make a small bracket in front of it for support that those front screws hold in place. But it worked well! 

Back