Chrome or not to chrome?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally prefer painted extensions which is why I had mine painted. It looks more homogeneous that way.

I prefer the painted extensions on the Mach 1 even though I grew up in the Chrome generation, maybe if you had a coupe or Grande the chrome would look good.

Black Chrome

boltBlackChromeTall_lg.jpg

I like the chrome extensions and chrome bumper myself...just my taste
Same here.. I usually don't care for a lot of chrome. But just enough in the right spot can certainly make the car pop.

As much as I like the chrome extensions on a 'vert, and the wrap-around chrome treatment on the '69-'70 Shelbys, I hafta say I prefer the look of the painted extensions with the chrome bumper (2nd picture of the Boss 351).

I like the idea of having a set of each, to suit your taste. Keep the chrome fender and hood extensions, and get another set you could have painted so you'd have both. :D

Both the Boss and all the Mach 1's used the Mach 1 (and decor package) grill with the turn signals built in.
The turn signals on all models of 71-72 Mustangs were below the bumper...never in the grille. The "sportlamps" in the grille were 100% decorative. Served no useful function.

If you are set on a eurathane bumper but cannot find or afford one, a standard chrome bumper can be stripped and painted body-color for an almost-correct look. Its not perfect, but it may suit you better than using a chrome bumper if you really don't want to.

murdered matt black

After seeing the side by side pictures on the first page of this thread I like the painted extensions and chrome bumper. Standard or Mach 1 grille I am undecided on, my current standard grille is cracked, so I will be making this decision soon. I was going to consider a urethane bumper, but after seeing prices on them around the internet, I have decided to stay chrome. Anyway thats my two cents.

Back