CLEANING UP NUTS BOLTS

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q code Mach 4spd
2004 350z
2005 Corvette
1971 Camaro SS/RS
A quick how to on how to clean up nuts bolts etc. This a non factory finish & offered as an alternative to buying cad plated new bolts..

I first glass bead the bolts nuts..using a strainer..The strainer makes it easy to do a bunch at one time in the blast cabinet. On nuts & bolts I then chuck them up in my drill & polish using a red scotch brite pad..Then finish with a grey..After that I make a hanger out of wire..then dip in a product called PROTECTA CLEAR http://www.everbritecoatings.com/ProtectaClear.htm Btw protecta clear also works great when installing new brake lines..coat the lines prior to install & they will never get that whitish oxidation..heres a few pics of the brake line clips I just finished..a non cleared clip is in the pic to see what it looks like prior to coating..Pic of the bolts has a non polished non cleared to compare before & after.

101_0525.JPG101_0527.JPG101_0532.JPG

Hello Qcode351mach,

I like it. Also, it states that it will restore the original color and luster of chalky, dull or faded siding and painted or anodized metals. Do you think it would work on the bright trim work around the window area that hold the weather strips and the drip trim parts?

Thank you for the solution in corrosion prevention.

mustang7173 :D

Hello Qcode351mach,

I like it. Also, it states that it will restore the original color and luster of chalky, dull or faded siding and painted or anodized metals. Do you think it would work on the bright trim work around the window area that hold the weather strips and the drip trim parts?

Thank you for the solution in corrosion prevention.

mustang7173 :D
I would polish them first then try..Or just try with out polishing..You have nothing to lose..I have used on polished aluminum with great results..

Back