Color code on drive shaft

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cjmach1

Reaction score
My Car
73 mustang Mach 1 Q code
I’m wondering if anyone has the correct colour code on a drive shaft for a 73 mustang Mach 1 Q code car with a c6 auto trans and 9 in diff

I’m wondering if anyone has the correct colour code on a drive shaft for a 73 mustang Mach 1 Q code car with a c6 auto trans and 9 in diff
I just checked the Mustang restoration guide with no luck.  I suggest the following.

1) Clean your driveshaft with purple power or something(non-abrasive) and see what the paint codes are.  Mine were visible on my original FMX driveshaft and my purchased 4-Speed driveshaft.  It didn't look that way at first, but a little cleaning showed me where, what color and how wide.

2)  Try the Mustang and Cougar Megasite.  http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/driveshaft.htm

Below is my driveshaft. Cleaned with purple power or something like that, Shot with Cast Blast natural color, than brush paint of the 3 colors. Not sure if that is concourse, but it looks cool and I think they are the correct 71 4-speed colors.

kcmash

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is mine for a 351C H-code with a C6 and 9 inch. Not sure if it was different for a Q-code.  If you have your build sheet, you can get the color codes from it.

I have seen some refer to the left most color as V = Violet or LA = Lavendar. That box on my buildsheet was faded, but I am fairly sure it was "V". Not sure what the difference is. As you can see from the pictures, I also found markings on the U-joints and also a mark identifying where to put the counterweight.

Since most of my buildsheet was unreadable, I spent time piecing my codes back together from buildsheets from nearly identical cars. I also reproduced my buildsheet from scratch.

Here is mine for a 351C H-code with a C6 and 9 inch. Not sure if it was different for a Q-code.  If you have your build sheet, you can get the color codes from it.

I have seen some refer to the left most color as V = Violet or LA = Lavendar. That box on my buildsheet was faded, but I am fairly sure it was "V". Not sure what the difference is. As you can see from the pictures, I also found markings on the U-joints and also a mark identifying where to put the counterweight.

Thanks a lot just wanted to confirm what I could make out on my drive shaft seems to be the same

Back