Convertible Render

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the 21st Century...but Microsoft can't figure out a way to shut my PC off and keep it off.
That's what the thing that goes into the wall does...ya know, the thing that has the metal things sticking out??? They go into these slot things in the wall... rofl
:goodone:

It's been a little while since I worked on this for 2 reasons. The 1st is that I've been working on my real car :) and the second is that I had a hard drive crash and it took me a few days to figure out how to retrieve my files :mad:

I was able to recover about 95% of what I needed which I was ok with. Luckily I keep most of my important stuff on an external drive!

Anyway, here it is. I need to tweak the center console a bit, the one that's there now was just a quickie. I'll see what it looks like with some color and go from there. Same for the detail on the seats. Shifter boot's a bit too wrinkly too, but it was the first time I attempted to make something with the "cloth simulator" in the program, so it'll do for now;)

1strender-1.png

Are you just eyeballing/estimating dimensions for curves and such?

Are you just eyeballing/estimating dimensions for curves and such?
Most of them...I have a fastback blueprint that I photo shopped into a coupe for the main body. As for the 'vert and interior I'm wingin' it from some reference pics. The thing that stands out the most is the interior quarter panel trim...the armrest is way to small. Just kinda the way it all layed out somehow??? If you see anything else way off let me know, if it's not too hard to fix I will :)

If you see anything else way off let me know, if it's not too hard to fix I will :)
I can supply photos, dimensions, sketches off of my convertible. Just let me know.

If I have time over the weekend I can sketch in my concerns...all constructive concerns because this is fantastic.

I love your work. One thing that stands out to me is that the angles are too sharp, making it look more like a 60's convertible. The tops of the fenders and doors should be more rounded, I believe.

And that's definitely not criticism, just constructive feedback, from my humble 73vertproject perspective. :)

Keep up the good work - wish I had talent like that!

Looks great for a draft! Does need a little rounding off as Doc pointed out. The convertible boot looks a little to high also. Keep the updates coming.

Just a quick 'eyeball' measurement> the rear deck lid and surface up to the boot (distance) looks too long. That chrome trim between the conv boot/cover is about an inch wide so it might help change appearance.

Great work! Thanks for allowing our observations.

Because I have tried and at least for me - it is difficult to do these renderings! I'm still a beginner!

But I am not giving up >>> yet...

Ray

Thanks for the feedback! Totally agree on the point of the whole side of the car needing a bit more rounding. I tweaked my coupe model a little bit in these areas, but both still need a bit more refining.

As for doing these for people here, I'd love to for a few extra bucks, but want to be sure my base models are right on before I do so that everyone is happy with the final results. I'm sure they'll never be exact, but they'll be a damn good visual representation for those of you that want to see what their cars will look like before they're done.

Back in the pre-home computer days when I was just 17 we took a 66 Dodge Cornette 2 door hard top and cut the top off with a jig saw and about 60 metal blades. (they kept breaking). We planned nothing and measured even less. It turned out good. the package tray got wrapped in some "leather-ete' to look like a boot and we folded the roof sheet metal over and or slipped some generic door edge guard chrome on (may have been plastic?) to clean it up a bit.

Later in the year we found some rusty convertable windshield trim and sheet metal screwed that over the everything.

We drove the crap out of that car till the 318 went very smokey on us plus as the summer went on the doors would not open so we had to just jump over to get in. I think we had some chassis sagging issues but I don't know why that would be.

I would buy a beater 66 Dodge convert in a heartbeat!

Some one should do this to a beyond hope coupe just to see what it would look like.

- Paul

Back in the pre-home computer days when I was just 17 we took a 66 Dodge Cornette 2 door hard top and cut the top off with a jig saw and about 60 metal blades. (they kept breaking). We planned nothing and measured even less. It turned out good. the package tray got wrapped in some "leather-ete' to look like a boot and we folded the roof sheet metal over and or slipped some generic door edge guard chrome on (may have been plastic?) to clean it up a bit.

Later in the year we found some rusty convertable windshield trim and sheet metal screwed that over the everything.

We drove the crap out of that car till the 318 went very smokey on us plus as the summer went on the doors would not open so we had to just jump over to get in. I think we had some chassis sagging issues but I don't know why that would be.

I would buy a beater 66 Dodge convert in a heartbeat!

Some one should do this to a beyond hope coupe just to see what it would look like.

- Paul
Yes convertibles need some strong bracing to keep the cars together with the doors open. Kinda like a bridge keeping the front and rear parts tied together. Non-convertibles don't require the same because the roofs help structurally keep it all together.

The doors no opening actually caused the sagging to stop - or at least gave a little more support than you had. This extra re-enforcement causes the weight of the convertibles to be greater than that of a similarly equipped hardtop or sportsroof. You shoud probably be thankful the doors 'caught' in the shut position.

I remember back in the middle 80's (wow I am OLD) - some guys took a 1976 Datsun pickup and cut off the top. An old welder told them they needed to weld in some steel under the floor. They were young and didn't listen. About three months later I saw the truck out next to their house bent in the middle so bad the steering wheel was up against the back of the seat! Looked like something out of a (OLD) Laurel and Hardy movie!

Memories... :whistling:

Ray

Wow...you are really close. Maybe the rear deck lid is a little wide at the top. But, still an outstanding job.

Sure wish we could have that front windshield as you depict.

Back