D4 Part Numbers on my 73...how common?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q Code Convertible
Hi guys,

Have been working on my A/C system lately and got around to looking at the compressor. Was able to clean the OEM Ford tag off and see that the part number is D4ZH-2875-AA, below the tag is the date of 05/73. My car was a June build so sure this is original. Was this common and why would it have been done?

2h8d8cm.jpg

Here is my seatback which also has a D4 part...this one is from a Pinto since they ran out of Mustang one's late in the year but also sure it is original. Am aware of the other thread that discussed this but just included since it is also a D4 part.

2chqqdk.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The seatback thread did ascertain that the Pinto seatbacks were substituted in late '73. Looks as if the same might have applied for the compressors - you might want to check with the other late-'73 owners from the seatback thread.

-Kurt

Thanks for showing the photos. It's good to document the oddities.

How about your black battery hold down. What number do you have on that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff, I would not think to be out of the realm of possible given the late production date of your car. I always thought it interesting that my car has a C6 (1966) prefix 4 blade radiator fan. Identified both on the build sheet and the fan itself. Not the same as a production date preceeding part number, but nonetheless 6 years later from original production.

Jeff, I would not think to be out of the realm of possible given the late production date of your car. I always thought it interesting that my car has a C6 (1966) prefix 4 blade radiator fan. Identified both on the build sheet and the fan itself. Not the same as a production date preceeding part number, but nonetheless 6 years later from original production.
Brian,

I do know in the middle-to-late 70's Ford had a recall on the 1972 4V cars' radiator fans. They apparenly had some issues with the blades actually seperating and I heard a mechanic was injured/killed as he was working on a car at a dealership. My convertible has the replaced fan assembly as was performed by an OKC dealership service dept back about 1975-ish.

I do not remember if the recall extended to the 2V cars as well?

---Should have checked to see if there is any previous threads on this subject...

Ray

Hi guys,

Have been working on my A/C system lately and got around to looking at the compressor. Was able to clean the OEM Ford tag off and see that the part number is D4ZH-2875-AA, below the tag is the date of 05/73. My car was a June build so sure this is original. Was this common and why would it have been done?

2h8d8cm.jpg

Here is my seatback which also has a D4 part...this one is from a Pinto since they ran out of Mustang one's late in the year but also sure it is original. Am aware of the other thread that discussed this but just included since it is also a D4 part.

2chqqdk.jpg
Pretty common occurrence actually. Especially with mid to late model year build dates. Chuck

Wish mine still had original pump...Original condenser still in thou. Mite have to check alot of parts for more d4 parts...Over all my car still has alot of the original stuff.

My tag is not in great shape - even cleaned it has some scratches but the PN looks the same - D4ZH 2875 AA. Everything except the 4 is very clear :( My build was July 73. So no comfortweave, pinto back and now a 74 PN on the compressor. I guess I'll have to start looking for more.

My tag is not in great shape - even cleaned it has some scratches but the PN looks the same - D4ZH 2875 AA. Everything except the 4 is very clear :( My build was July 73. So no comfortweave, pinto back and now a 74 PN on the compressor. I guess I'll have to start looking for more.
----------------------------

I worked at Ford in Material Control for many years known within the company production activities as (Parts Control). Sometimes part number prefixes can be deceiving. Occasionally new model parts have been pulled ahead into the current model for various reasons. Also, you may notice that a part has a non-Mustang prefix. For example; D2AB instead of D2ZB. Parts released for one carline can be used on multiple vehicles including trucks. (This is a cost saving measure to eliminate design and tooling costs). D=Seventies decade, 2=Model year released, A=Carline (full size Ford) Z=Mustang, B=Engineering Activity (Body Engineering). The large class 7 and 8 highway tractors "Louisville and Aeromax" series also would use some car and light truck designed and released parts.

--KL.

----------------------------

I worked at Ford in Material Control for many years known within the company production activities as (Parts Control). Sometimes part number prefixes can be deceiving. Occasionally new model parts have been pulled ahead into the current model for various reasons. Also, you may notice that a part has a non-Mustang prefix. For example; D2AB instead of D2ZB. Parts released for one carline can be used on multiple vehicles including trucks. (This is a cost saving measure to eliminate design and tooling costs). D=Seventies decade, 2=Model year released, A=Carline (full size Ford) Z=Mustang, B=Engineering Activity (Body Engineering). The large class 7 and 8 highway tractors "Louisville and Aeromax" series also would use some car and light truck designed and released parts.

--KL.
Great Info!

Back