Long Overdue Intro from Michigan

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Convertible Q code, Auto C6 trans
Guess this is sort of an apology and my intro. My name is Bob, I've been a member of this forum for a number of years and have been mostly an "observer" enjoying all of your wisdom, wit/humor, and fantastic advice. It's more than time, infact very overdue on my part to become more of a "participant" so here goes.

I've had this 73 Mustang convertible for about 20 years now. It's largely been in my family since it was two years old. The car was originally build as a Ford Marketing car, I'm told for a Ford executive to use as a personal car for a year or two before it was put back on the market. That's when my father purchased this car for my mother in 1975. I had already joined the US Navy by this time and wasn't around to see/enjoy it. After several years, my parents sold this mustang to my Aunt & Uncle, then my parents got the car back, and eventually I obtained it from them.

As for me, out of high school in the early 70's, I served in the US Navy as submariner and nuclear power plant operator. That lead to a career in commercial nuclear power where I retired from. Now my hobbies and interest is namely building homes for Habitat for Humanity, my family and increasingly my mustang.

So back to this car, it has been taken car of over the years but of course as a daily driver before me. I didn't do all that much to the car, except to keep it garaged, and occasionally driven in the summer until the past three years where I started to attack a long list of "issues" that were excessively worn or no longer worked. I'm very inspired now in my retirement especially by all of your shared posts, and experiences to really go after making improvements in this car and hopefully passing it along to my children some day.

The major work I've accomplished already has been to address the suspension & steering. This took me a couple of years. It was totally flat spring wise, and very very loose in the front end. With the help of Eaton Detroit springs, RockAuto, NPD, WCCC, eBay & others, along with this forum I now have a completely new suspension system, and with the exception of the Steering gear box to the column, a new steering system. I've tried to keep it in it's original condition with some exceptions. The front & rear sway bars were upgraded with the larger ADDCO bars that made a huge improvement. The only other non-original upgrade the roller bearing coil spring perches versus the original bushing type. It wasn't as dramatic of a change as the sway bars, but it did smooth the front end response I suppose is the best way I'd describe it.

I'm now in the early stages of addressing my interior and plan to open a build thread on my car to share my experiences with you and ask for help & advice along my way.

Here's pictures of my Q-Code, convertible along with it's Marti Report. Also, Marti still had the original Factory Invoice so I've attached a copy of that as well. So once again, please forgive my past inactivity and thank you all for your amazing contributions!

Bob

Attachments

• Marti Report 73 Convertible.pdf
    371.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Factory Invoice 1 of 2.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 7-22 DS.jpg
    7-22 DS.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 7-22 PSF.jpg
    7-22 PSF.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 7-22 Int.jpg
    7-22 Int.jpg
    963.4 KB · Views: 1
Hello and Welcome from a fellow Michigander! I’ve never heard of the town you live in, but I looked it up and I see your on the far west side of the state. I live in Washington Township, which you probably never heard of either. Anyway, you have a really nice looking vert! Maybe one of these days we can meet up at a car show or something. Take care!
John

Nice looking vert! I love that you know the whole history of the car and that most of it is within your own family. I never knew that a leather wrapped steering wheel was even available on our cars. I would think that must be a rare option. I look forward to watching your build thread as you continue on with your renovation.

Welcome from NW Oregon. I've never seen but often wondered how wire wheels would look on our cars, have to say they really look good. I also like the pinstriped flame job, very nice looking Mustang you got there.

Hello and Welcome from a fellow Michigander! I’ve never heard of the town you live in, but I looked it up and I see your on the far west side of the state. I live in Washington Township, which you probably never heard of either. Anyway, you have a really nice looking vert! Maybe one of these days we can meet up at a car show or something. Take care!
John
Yeah thanks John. I’d like that. It would be great to meet you especially after enjoying several of your posts over the past few years. Bob

Back