Date coding vintage Goodyear tires

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotoArts

Reaction score
My Car
'71 Sportsroof
'90 Mustang 7-Up 5.0 ragtop (sold after 20 years)
'66 Sunbeam Tiger Mk.IA
I have quickly searched, but to no complete success. These old Blue Streaks have been in the family for a looooong time, on the magnesium daisy wheels shown. Can anyone date them for me? I gathered that the "JU" means 1969, but do not know the rest.

Also would be interested in knowledge on the wheels. The wheel/tire assembly is extremely lightweight... Ford 4-1/2" pattern, 15x8 with a hastily measured 4" backspace. I don't see any names cast on the backsides of the spokes to help in finding what brand that they are.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Pete

20151205_174811_zpsmdnndjzz.jpg

20151205_174820_zpsc4hhz1xe.jpg

20151205_174838_zpscfbarxlc.jpg

20151205_174901_zpsr5kp4ivg.jpg

I have quickly searched, but to no complete success. These old Blue Streaks have been in the family for a looooong time, on the magnesium daisy wheels shown. Can anyone date them for me? I gathered that the "JU" means 1969, but do not know the rest.

Also would be interested in knowledge on the wheels. The wheel/tire assembly is extremely lightweight... Ford 4-1/2" pattern, 15x8 with a hastily measured 4" backspace. I don't see any names cast on the backsides of the spokes to help in finding what brand that they are.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Pete

20151205_174811_zpsmdnndjzz.jpg

20151205_174820_zpsc4hhz1xe.jpg

20151205_174838_zpscfbarxlc.jpg

20151205_174901_zpsr5kp4ivg.jpg
Pete,

The wheel manufacturer slips my feeble mind but they are true Mag wheels short for Magnesium not aluminum. They were used by most of the races in that time. Magnesium is lighter and stronger than aluminum but burns with tremendous heat in a fire. I use to machine some in the die shop and you had to be careful not to get a spark. You did not put water on it if it caught fire that made it burn better. I would save the chips to use starting fire in fireplace.

It is great you have kept them would look great in a garage on wall. I have one NOS Goodyear RWL F-70-14, not a Coker, that I have had for many years it is on a 73 factory alu. wheel. I will have to check the date code and see what it is.

David

Thank you, gentlemen! Exactly what I was looking for.

Yes, I would like to keep them for wall hangings. I knew that there were different daisy lookalikes, but don't know most of the manufacturers. I've never seen tires that have turned to stone before! These puppies are hard as rocks, even without air in them. We had a matching BIG rear set but they were stolen back in the early '80's. I knew who did it, but couldn't catch him with them. His time will come.

Any preferred safe and proven method for blasting and recoating magnesium? Soda? Walnut? Chemical? They don't look too awfully corroded under the gray, only where it's peeling. I have a set of mag NASCAR oiler valve covers that are coated in what I believe is teflon paint and would like to get them done at the same time. Whatever coating is on them just laughs at aircraft stripper...

Last edited by a moderator:
I would start out with walnut shells and go from there. Most of the manufacturing companies use a "Wheel Abrader" to finish the wheels. It throws the steel shot at the parts so there is no air involved the wheel actually throws the media usually steel shot to clean the casting flash off and even out the surface. They would then finish anything in the lathe that needed turning.

The newer tires do get hard. I have a 1950 Ford with it's original tires or the second set still on the car and they hold air. They have tubes in them. I drove the car over 100 miles one July 4 to a car show at the BMW plant near me and they did not blow. Have taken to several cruse ins probably driven 250 miles on those ancient tires. They have to be at least 1954 that is the tag I took of the car. I will have to look at date codes on them. My uncle had a 35 Ford coupe that had it's original tires. He did take them off and put new ones on but he car only had 800 miles on it came from Arizona. That was a cherry but my cousin sold it when his dad died with all his other nice cars.

I tried to attach a picture of spare in the trunk or the original car not sure if it uploaded.

100_2230.JPG

Back