DECENT MONEY ON RECENT MACH 1 SALE

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
Hi to all,

Just spotted this recent sale listed on Hemmings auctions site.

A private seller on a '72 Mach 1 selling at auction for $55,230.00 US. An interesting result and not too bad! The starting bid was $5,000.00 and steadily climbed till the auction ended. Some of the key history of the vehicle seems uncertain in the bargain.

For the record, that translates very close to a total of $107,500.00 Aussie dollars to have that same car landed in Australia and all expenses paid. Man!!!

Link: https://www.hemmings.com/auction/1972-ford-mustang-kissimmee-fl-973378/sold

Greg:p

Last edited:
That Mach 1 looked very nice in the ad. Time will tell it that price is an outlier or the new norm.
Hi Sheriff,

In my opinion, i think selling prices for our 1,2,3's over the last decade have seen a steady increase year by year, and are still on the rise. Two things going on there - 1. The classic car market scene has being doing the same over the last decade, and our Mustangs are caught up in that increase flow as well, and 2. I feel that our 1,2,3's have become more popular, respected, admired and sought after in the World market place, so hence, that has helped and contributed to a decent or higher asking or selling price for our cars of late. Of course, the more rare and or optioned your model is the more you can ask for come selling time. That red on red '72 was not particularly rare, or heavily optioned as such.

However, on the other side of the coin, what direction the World classic car scene will take in the future reflecting on market prices is anyone's guess. We are certainly living in uncertain times coupled with a completely uncertain, unpredictable future. We shall see i guess.

One thing i know for sure, is, i would not have bought it and paid $107,500.00 Au thanks very much! I ain't that rich!:giggle:

Greg.:unsure:

Last edited:
Well, I certainly would not have paid that for the car. But, someone did and that's all that counts. We all know a car's only worth what someone's willing to pay for it on a given day. But, I believe this is an outlier and someone fell in love and let their emotions cloud their judgement. You've probably seen this at live auctions where two people bid a car up well over what the cars value really is. Normally the result is you see the car at auction again as the poor buyer tries to recover some of their loss. But, who knows. Maybe this buyer always wanted that type of car optioned that way. You know, they fell in love.

One thing to remember is a dollar to one man is a penny to another. When we talk about market prices, they are dictated by those who have the pennies. So, the average car buff has to try to compete with them and can't. That is why I have always stayed away from auctions and instead searched local listing and the internet.

Last edited:
That is good money indeed, but could still be less than it cost to restore.
If I were to sell mine, a 71 M code, I would need close to that sort of money just to recover what I have in it. Is that going to happen, I doubt it, but who knows.
I have a friend who wants to sell his exceptional 71 M code, 1 owner car (you've probably seen the ad in our classifieds section), but not yet found someone willing to pay what he's asking for it and it's waaay below 55K.
For most of us, 55K is a small fortune, but to some, it's just chump change, like "us" paying 5K for it. We just need to look for "those buyers"!!

One thing to remember is a dollar to one man is a penny to another. When we talk about market prices, they are dictated by those who have the pennies. So, the average car buff has to try to compete with them and can't. That is why I have always stayed away from auctions and instead searched local listing and the internet.
My point too.

Back