Did Shelby make a 71 Mustang?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! Thats cool, but I feel left out! The Europeans get to have all the fun!

71 Shelby's were left over 70 cars marketed in Europe.

They claim the 69 to 70 Shelby was the prototype design they used to mock up the design for the 71 mustang, which then evolved into the finished new 71 body style.

They claim the 69 to 70 Shelby was the prototype design they used to mock up the design for the 71 mustang, which then evolved into the finished new 71 body style.
The reason our car looks like the shelby is because "bunkie" knudsen liked the way the shelby's looked. The prototype that became our car was a rejected clay mockup intended for the 1969 model with a front end similar to the shelby.

I like the fog lights, there was a 71-73 on ebay a long time ago that was modded to look like a 69-70 shelby with most of the fiberglass scoops, stripes and such, it looked pretty nice

That 71/67 Eleanor tribute/clone/modified/shelby looking thing was a pretty good one of a kind fastback. I can say I have seen a whole lot worse.

ah the europa i forgot about those. my mistake.
eleanor.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That 71/67 Eleanor tribute/clone/modified/shelby looking thing was a pretty good one of a kind fastback. I can say I have seen a whole lot worse.

ah the europa i forgot about those. my mistake.

That musta been designed by Walmart.... that is a big rear end

71 Shelby's were left over 70 cars marketed in Europe.

Very good post on the Shelby European cars

When I had my 69 Mach back in the day I remember how cool I thought the 69 Shelbys were,

When the 71s came out it was like a dream come true, a production Mustang with that Shelby styling at an af-ford-able price

Our cars are the Apex of Mustang design that are so slick that teflon can take lessons from them.

Thats why I always laugh at the scoffers or "Classic Mustang" nay sayers who don't consider them one of the classics

AJ

So if I can take an educated guess... these were bone stock 02 code sportroof with 72 R engines and most likely 427 competition suspension (large sway bars), 4 speed, special stripes, ram air, and Shelby wheels bolted up. Sounds like a nice inexpensive way to go?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back